I am going in to have a cerclage put in on thursday has anyone had it done and if so what was your experiance and did everything turn out ok ? were you able to return to normal activitys ?

in my last pregnancy my daughter was born at 35wks because of my cervix opening early. now with this pregnancy my OB recommended that I have a cerclage put in to prevent preterm delivery with this baby the thing is I am terriffied to have this done but I am sceduled to have it done this coming thursday I am worried about the complications that could arise and the complications that may arise if I don't have it done. if you have had this done I would love to know how you made out and if you were able to return to normal activies after it was done ?

kaysmom2

Asked by kaysmom2 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had a cerclage put in at 20 weeks. It was a very terriffing moment for mee. I was awake during the whole thing. I was put on bedrest for 3 months in the hospital and for the first month I wouldn't even get up to ise the bathroom. At the end of it all everything turned out ok. My son was born 4 weeks early but very healthy. I would say if your doctor does not put you on bedrest , take it easy. I know you have another child but lifting and even sex can cause the stitch to move or come out.
    KasiaMay

Answer by KasiaMay at 7:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2008

• This is my third pregnancy and because of a preterm birth with my first daughter and a miscarraige with second, I had a cerclage placed at 13 weeks of this pregnancy. I have read lots of horror stories about the cerclage, but have had an amazing experience with it! I have not had to be on bed rest AT ALL, although I do have lifting limitations. I also have to rest often but that is due to preterm labor/contractions. I am currently at 36 weeks and am having the cerclage removed Wednesday, knowing I will probably go into labor quickly. If your doctor recommends it - I would go for it. I was awake during the procedure and although it was an akward position, it didn't take too long and I went home that afternoon. I was not on bed rest (or pelvic rest, as some sites indicate) and immediately went back to a normal life at home, doing laundry, working, and keeping up with my 3 year old! Good Luck!
    katyruby

Answer by katyruby at 2:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2008