What is the difference between a hotel, motel, inn....? Any others? Why are they called different things?

Just always wondered, seeing if anyone knows ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• this is my input...hotel means nice and either basic or eccentric....motel is a dive on the side of the rode and cheap...an inn is a place with themed rooms and sorta like a BB
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Inns are usually family owned and feel like home
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If I remember correctly, Motels have the doors on the outside of the building whereas Hotels have doors on the inside of the building. Don't know about the Inn, I believe it is supposed to be smaller and more homely like.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Here are some more ideas: Hotels may include various services such as bell boys, room service, concierge service. Motels mainly just have a lobby where you check in, and the rooms. Inns are about the same as a nice motel. Some motels I see along the roads are single story and you park outside your door. But there are motels around here that are several stories. Bed and Breakfasts are usually family run and not very big- from 3 rooms to quite a few more. I've been to a B&B that had a dozen rooms and was more like an inn. In a B&B there are usually common rooms that are decorated in a homey fashion. So, there are my thoughts.

Answer by Bmat at 9:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Motels were once called Motor Lodges---because you could park right outside your door. They were for quicker in and out stays for travelers on the road in their cars and were generally built right along the highway. Hotels are typically for longer stays and in the city where you might not need a car, often near the airport. Either can be ANY price---not all Hotels are swanly and not all Motels are dives. An Inn is more homey and is often referred to a Bed and Breakfast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Nov. 3, 2009