May I please have some potty training advice?

I have a 3 yr. old little boy that I babysit for 6 days/week from 6 am to 6 pm, so a majority of his time is spent at my home. I also have 4 other children from newborn to 6 yrs 5 days a week plus my own 3 children ages 6 mos, 4 yrs, and 6 yrs. I started watching this little boy in mid-august and his parents were trying to train him but said he was already past his 'window' of potty training interest. I gave him a week to get used to his surroundings in my home and familiarize himself, but had him set out and decorate his own potty and he got in line with everyone else at rest time and before snack time for bathroom breaks, but wasn't pushed to go. At week 2, he was going by himself , was interested, but I still kept him in a pull-up daily. Week 3, we did big boy underwear and I had no incidents. It was a flawless week. Week 4 and beyond is where it all began. It was his first 2-day weekend at home and he came back on

midnightshadow2

Asked by midnightshadow2 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• cont...
    monday and ever since has been peeing himself at least twice. I have not pressured him to go to the bathroom, I have encouraged and rewarded, but it was by his own motivation. I guess I'm just wondering if you guys think it's the parents, or he's just not ready. He was outside playing today with my son in the back yard, came running around the house to the front door, stood in my entry way and peed on the floor and in his pants. He stands at my toilet and pees his pants. I know he feels the urge, but seems to still not be ready for going potty in the toilet. He stands at the toilet but doesn't remove anything and doesn't attempt, he just knows he should go in the toilet. Any advice? Should I put him back in diapers? I just don't know what the right thing to do is. He's at his worst on mondays and progressively gets better as the week goes on, but then we just do it over again the following week. Advice?
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Considering Monday is the worst and he gets better throughout the week, sounds like there's some kind of problem at home. You should talk to the parent (s) and find out how they handle pottying at home, and let them know what you are doing and well it has been working for their son.

Other than that I don't have any advice to offer.
    Anonymous

• You're doing all the right things. I agree with the pp, talk to the parents, let them know what you've been doing, that it works etc. and see if they can get on board. Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Talk to the parent's. His parent's are not training him at home. It has to be done in both places besides your home. I would tell the parent's he is doing great here and they need to start helping you as well. If this doesn't work , tell them you can't watch him and maybe the parent's will start helping him at home. I used a bank and when he used the potty he could feed his gator bank... I wish you luck!
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Okay, I just talked to the parents, but I think they're lying. I don't think they do anything to help, but they say they do. It's all wasted effort to me at this point. Should I just keep him in a diaper, or what?
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2009