how do you tell the difference between vomit and spitup in a 2 wk old?

i gave my baby my breast milk in a bottle and i guess he ate too fast b/c he just spit/threw most of it up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It he's used to nursing instead of taking BM from a bottle then it was probably spit up from getting too much air from the bottle.

Vomit is clumpy, smells bad, and doesn't happen immediately after a feeding. Spit up never shoots out projectile style and it happens pretty fast after a feeding.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Spit up is at most a few tablespoons, vomit (imo anyway) covers more surface area, clothes face, furniture etc depend on where they were. And I have seen both lol my oldest had reflux and used to throw up exorcist style it was sad and gross! If it was his first time with a bottle he may have inadvertently gotten too much air as well.
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Vomit is clumpy and smells bad, spit up is whatever liquid you have feed, mixed with saliva. It can look like a lot of spit up if they have just eaten too much.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• SPIT UP LOOKS LIKE DROOL ..THROW UP LOOKS LIKE A WATER-HOSE LOL ITS VERY PROJECTILE ISH ...AT THIS AGE ITS VERY HARD TO TELL!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009