Moms of potty trained toddlers/kids

What potty training technique did you use that was successful? How long did it take? How old was your child when finally 100% potty trained?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have boys and they were overnight trained by 4. I started at 3.5 years and put them on the toilet facing the tank and used a sticker chart for incentive. One column for sitting, one for if they peed and one for poop. Poop, takes the longest. You can start earlier but I've heard from friends that it just ends up being frustrating.
    Anonymous

• My daughter turned 2 a week ago and she is now 100% potty trained. Took her 4 days to get it down. My technique was cold turkey. We ran out of diapers and I refused to buy anymore. My daughter had used the potty to pee a few times, but only when she wanted to. I highly suggest going straight to underwear for night and day. Diapers and pull-ups just seemed to enable my daughter to be lazy and pee or poop in them. You may change a few accidents, but it's so worth it.
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 9:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• When my son was 1 we just started putting him on the potty when we were in the bathroom (like I was doing my hair or anything) he would sit there and we'd talk about pottying. By 18 months he was daytime potty trained only had accident during sleep. By the age of 2 years and a few months he was fully day and night potty trianed.

I recommend just being laid back aboug him and put him up there when your in there and talk to him about how much fun pottying is.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i have 4 boys and the 2 older boys (5.5 and 4 yrs old) were both started at 1.5 yrs and finished completely by 2.5 with no accidents- but my now 2 yr old i started at 1.5 but he is stubborn lol so he refuses to go at all on the potty but he will take his pull up off to go on the floor... we're working on that... but with my oldest i used a potty seat that goes on the top of the toilet but my now 4 yr old didn't like that so i used the potty seat that sits alone- with both i read them potty books and gave them stickers and treats for going, also sat them on the toilet whenever i had to go and i had an open door policy with me and their dad so that they saw us going. I also let them get cute undies that they loved so that they would try and keep them dry
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My daughter was potty trained the day before she turned two. The entire process was 3 months, overall. However, I tried pullups the first 2 months and 3 weeks. She was having maybe an accident every other day. Then, I said forget this supidity and threw them out. Took less than a week, pee and poop. Now, she's little, and sometimes little kids get excited with the sandbox and whatnot and forget to go. I'd say she had an accident every week or two until she was 26 months, but it was all pee. I have not attempted to night train. Everyone in my family and my husband's wet the bed until they were grade school aged. Doctor informs me this is genetic, so we just do pull ups at night. She pees a lot, even though she doesn't drink after dinner. But then she pees a lot first thing in the morning too, so whatever. I'm not worried about that.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• my two girls we potty trained in the summer. Let them run around bottomless at home and in the yard. They fully trained in about a week. My son was harder. He showed no interest in the potty until he was 3.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• my son is 34 months, and he was potty trained, day and night, in about 7 days. no candy, no potty chart, he just decided it was time.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 8:03 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My daughter was fully trained at 2 years 2 months. She still has night accidents, but hasn't had a day one in months. Around one I just introduced the potty chair and let her use it as a toy for several months so she wouldn't be afraid of it. Then around a year and a half I started having her sit on it, fully clothed while I went to the bathroom. She picked up on it fast and started wiping her self, while clothed! :) Then I started putting her on it naked after a bath but she never used it. Around 2, I started doing it more regularly putting her on the chair and showing her that poop goes into the potty (empty the diapers into the potty and let them flush it away)., I have 2 potty books that she uses too. She's in day care, so she had the benefit of watching the other kids and the teacher putting her on regularly too. I started putting her in panties and she started peeing in those ... cont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• .. cont. and I'd tell her she just peed and that next time she needs to do that in the potty (I told her that too in diapers when I noticed she was going). And after about a week and a half in the panties, she started going in the potty about 99% of the time. It was like there was an on off switch for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I waited for my kids to turn 3. Then I bought fun character undies. I waited until we had a long weekend when I knew we could stay home for 3 days. I said "Tomorrow you will wear underwear! Yay! You will get m&ms when you go on the potty" I started first thing in the morning. I put on their undies and took them to the potty every 30 minutes or so. A bunch of accidents, but not too bad. The second day, things got a little better. The 3rd day they were completely trained. I still used pullups at night for a few months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2009