Should she know her ABCs? Is she behind?Good ways to learn?

Okay ladies, so i have been working a little with my little girl and so far she knows abc, and then she goes on to s, d, and then back to a. lol. Well we sing the ABC song sometimes and i was talking to my grandmother and she told me that her cousins who are a day younger than her, can sing their whole abcs! is she behind, or did their mom, who is a sahm just have more time and they were able to learn it with more time to learn it along with having older siblings? My daughter is very good with identifying and animal sounds, and speaking, so i am not what so ever thinking my daughter is not as smart as them, it just made me wonder if she should know them by now or if having siblings would just be an advantage to their learning.

Also, does anyone have any good methods on teaching ABCS besides magnets (she just flings them off the fridge) and besides the ABC song? Thanks ladies!! :)

MamaHardy2008

Asked by MamaHardy2008 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 3 yo doesn't know them yet and he has older sibs. He can't count yet either. It'll come, don't worry about it. If she doesn't get them by the time she hits Kindergarten I'd worry, but until then just relax and have fun singing the abc song and playing with the magnets, she's not behind.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Children love to sing. There are many many many great sound tracks to play for her in the car since I'm sure you are often on-the-go. From ABCs to the US constitution. Learnign songs helps to seal info into your brain. Just think of all the song lyrics you know!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My 2 year old knows them, and has for a while. But that doesnt' mean she knows what they are - she's just repeating a song. I use it to time teeth brushing. I sing while I brush, once for the top, then once for the bottom. Now he sings while I brush her little sister's teeth. I wouldn't worry a bit. I'm sure your daughter knows some songs othe kids don't. At this age, that's all it is.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i use it for brushing teeth as well, and all my boys 4,3 and 2 y/o can say their abcs to a point. but they're just repeating what i'm doing. they even say they want to "do their abc's" when they want to brush their teeth.
    Mamie_85

Answer by Mamie_85 at 12:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2009