I don't understand elective c-sections. Can you explain this to me?

I have never had a c-section, but I did have a surgery on my uterus. During the procedure, my doctor had to cut my abdominal wall and perform a uterine repair. I have a scar that looks like a c-section scar. The recovery was miserable.

Having had this experience, I shudder at the thought of a c-section. I would do ANYTHING to avoid having my stomach muscles cut ever again. ALL of the debate on c-sections being good or bad for babies ASIDE, I really want to know, if you elected to have a c-section, why? What did your doctor say, what did you hear about the procedure, what were your concerns, etc?

Again, coming at this from a purely "logistics of recovery" stand point. Not bashing.

ecodani

Asked by ecodani at 10:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• DF's cousin's baby's mom (whoo that's a lot)... anyways she has a heart problem so she choose to have a c-section because the strain of labor on her heart could kill her.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I decided to because I have a health condition that stress makes worse- terribly worse and for me it was the best decision.
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• like owensmama824, said it could be health related. sometimes it due to the baby being too big, sometimes it fear of natural birth, sometimes its selfish(afraid of hips spreading, or widening, ect). for me it was because the water was low around baby b(my girl twin) and said it was considered an emergency c-section, but was preformed days later; because she had enough water to pull through the weekend. i refused a blood transfusion(i grew up Jehovah's witness, and even though i do not practice, i stand behind their beliefs of blood being sacred!), so the procedure was a little longer because they caterized evry cut after it was made; which minized the bleeding 100%. the benefits of doing it without the blood transfusion was walking within hours of the surgery, little to no pain when walking, moving, stepping in and out of the shower and or tub, and a very minimal scar line; barely noticable unless i show it! i am not trying to
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• change anyone's views of blood transfusions; i am merely trying to say what i experienced by denying having it as an option!!! everyone has their own oppinions and beliefs; these are mine!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Well I ended up having a c-section with my first baby and I can't wait to have another c-section! I found it very relaxing at the hospital... after 9 months of being uncomfortable and no wine having drugs and sleeping for a whole night was the most wonderful thing ever. Sure it was a lil painful to walk the next day, but I didn't mind it at all!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• There are medical reasons, but if we are talking about truely elective c/s, then I believe that a lot of it comes down to fear and selfishness. I've had one myself, my son was breech and there was meconium in the amnio fluid so we had to get him out pretty quickly, and I've had two vaginal births and I would never choose a c/s again for any reason other than medical necessity.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I have decided to go ahead and schedule mine cause i had dd by c-section at 41 weeks. her head grew into the birth canal... proof in the bruise.. this one is laying sideways and breech, and shows NO signs of turning and heck if he does and I can do vag i will... BUT i seriously doubt it, plus i know what to expect and how far I can push myself/
    Trinity0820

Answer by Trinity0820 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Oh, and ladyd6280, I didn't have a transfusion with my c/s, I don't think it's a standard thing to have one with a c/s. I know it can be an option, but it's not usually done, at least not here.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Well I had a c section (wasn't elective) but I just wanted to point out 2 things based on the post and a response: 1) stomach muscles are rarely cut during c sections. Most doctors prefer to separate the muscles than cut them. Mine was an emergancy and I still didn't have my muscles cut. 2) I've never heard of anyone having a blood transfusion with a c section unless there was an underlying reason for it. Blood transfusions are not standard with c sections. It is the same as in labor or any other surgery- blood is given if needed, but it is not a standard.

OP- My c section was a breeze and very easy to recover from. Up and walking the same day, home 4 days later, sent hubby back to work on the 5th day, and didn't need any help around the house or with the baby. If it weren't for the risks involved, I'd have another one in a heartbeat! Vaginal birth is just so much safer though.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 10:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I didnt have an elective C-Section (ended up with one) but I thought the recovery was a piece of cake. I had no pain meds after the C-Section and I wanted to come home the next day (but couldnt, had to stay my 3 days). My friend had a vaginal birth and she felt she was dying for weeks.

On elective C-Section. My friend had triplets and pretty well had no choice in how they were to be born, so I guess that was not an elective but anyways, she felt the same way I did.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2009