a sleeping question

so Ihear a lot of people saying that you shouldn't sleep on your back when you're preggo. well I just found out i'm expectin my second baby and with my first I didn't sleep on my back at all becuse of hearing this and I didn't get a single great nights sleep the whole 9 months. well I am most comfortable on my back and would prefer to sleep that way, although if there is some real reason that I shouldn't I won't . I was just wondering if this is just something that people say without knowing or is this for real???? thanks for the help

AshleyG.

Asked by AshleyG. at 10:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• as long as you are comfortable on your back its ok. the only cause for concern is the pressure on the lungs and diaphram; hence trouble breathing, ect. docs say you can also lay or sleep on your tummy as long as your comfortable, and or baby doesn't object. now when you lay on the left side of your body(pregnant or not) you breathe more properly and easily. i also suggest a body pillow for support of your growing belly(it aids in eleveating(i don't think i spelled that right! lol) pressure on lower back and legs. magnesium 200 mg supplements also help ward off charlie horses!!! good luck finding your personal comfort(i mean this sincerely!!!)!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My ob/gyn confirmed that the reasoning is sleeping on the back can constrict blood supply. However, I suspect it's just fine to sleep on your back. I didn't throughout my pregnancy but only because of a back injury.Talk to your doctor and see what you can negotiate.

preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 10:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• its fine to go to sleep that way because your body will naturally turn itself over if theres anything wrong

also a tip is to put a little leverage under either your right or left hip to increase blood flow
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• leverage as in a pillow or bunched up blanket...goodluck

DomoniqueWS