When you're pregnant, you do the best you can for your baby, right?

You avoid alcoholic beverages, drugs, many women try to quit smoking or at least cut back. Many women are even careful about what they eat and drink. There's a whole list of what's okay and what's not and many women do what they can to follow it without changing their lives too dramatically, right?
So then, why is it that so many women are okay with suddenly being injected with drugs on the moment of delivery? I'm not bashing, i'm just trying to understand why it's not okay to put yours or the babies health at risk all through the pregnancy, but all that changes during labor.

I understand that labor is painful. But I think most women would DIE for their children ...so ...why is an epi or other drugs during labor okay?

(note: this question does not include women who have medical reasons)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• you know i have done both and honestly while I did prefer the epi free birth, I dont regret the two deliveries with the epidural, you do what you have to do in the moment. No one knows till they get there what will happen or how they will feel. it is a option and a choice. It is not for bashing one mom or another for their choice, we all do what works best for us at the time. I held all 3 of my babies and they all were alert and perfect not having the epidural didnt make it more special ( i did however feel like i was on a adrenaline high lol) Either way someone chooses that moment of first holding your child is amazing. Also to answer another question with the natural delivery i forgot about the pain almost immediately.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Because an epidural is pretty safe. Also, I drank the second half of my pregnancy. I had a glass of wine every Friday night from six months on. My father is an OB and gave me the okay.
    Anonymous

• because while we might die for our children we'd rather not be in horrid pain and suffering if we don't have to when our baby first cries. Not every mom gets that chance.
    Anonymous

• I always said that I would go as far as I could and if I got to the end of the race without, it wasn't going to make a difference either way because I wouldn't be thinking about the epi I just had, I would be happy, relieved and exhausted and just wanting to hold and cuddle and kiss my baby. I made it to 7 centimeter's both times! :) I think people opt for the epi because it is safe, I personally don't know how much it affects the baby, but I can say that both of mine came out screaming and alert...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• There are studies that suggest that the increased use of the epi might be correlated with a higher risk of drug addiction. here's a link.

http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/ecstatic-birth-the-hormonal-blueprint-of-labor

Anonymous

• "I wouldn't be thinking about the epi I just had, I would be happy, relieved and exhausted and just wanting to hold and cuddle and kiss my baby."

------------------

But isn't that true for natural, non medicated delivery as well? You wouldn't be thinking about the pain you were just in you'd be happy, relieved and exhausted. And just wanting to hold and cuddle and kiss your baby.
    Anonymous

• You do realize what CORRELATED MEANS right? It means NOTHING. There is no cause and effect in a correlational study. That is just stupid and absurd. You really need to focus your time on something else than reading worthless studies that don't affect you.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Correlational studies are frequently used in psychology research to look for relationships between variables. While correlational studies can suggest that there is a relationship between two variables, finding a correlation does not prove that one variable causes a change in another variable.
    Anonymous

• Did you ladies even read the link? ...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2009