What religion other than your own to you understand the most?

And what religion other than your own do you understand the least?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• For me other religious beliefs aren't usually that hard to understand. I don't always know tons about some of the less common ones, but once I start to read up on them, it's easy for me to grasp. My beliefs are all inclusive. I believe that because all the Gods exist that they chose to break up in to individual pantheons and so, today we have a number of different religious paths because they gods each lead their people in different directions. So for me to understand why someone does or believes something make sense because in my mind they are only following their god.

But I would have to say I understand Baptists and JWs the least. Being raised JW, I understand their beliefs but not their zeal. And I think Rastafarian is probably the one I can understand the most. The idea that God will provide if you believe is an overpowering leap of faith, but because of my understanding of the Law Of Attraction, I get it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Honestly I don't think I can give a definite I understand this religion type of answer but I'll share what I think. I went to a catholic private school during the week attended mass and religion classes, then on the weekends I went to the LDS church with my grandmother, as a teen I tried many other churches and never felt comfortable until I went to a Calvary church. Then I married a Baptist (which honestly I just cannot wrap my head around his families beliefs) he is very unlike his family they are very hit you over the head and use scripture to fit your purpose type of people.

Most of my friends are Pagan or Wiccan with a  few others who are LDS and even a  few baptist. I think I understand my wiccan/pagan friends much better than any of the others. I understand the die hard baptist the least and I also agree with you about the JW's.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I don't think I can pick one I know the most lol...there's so many I know fairly well.

I think it's more people who use religion as a weapon that I do not understand.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I feel that i understand the philosophies of Buddhism and Hinduism the most. Even though i don't know a WHOLE lot about them, i feel that even my own spirituality steers slightly away from the modern Neo-Pagan path in favor of the more eastern religions.

The religion i understand the least ...hmmm. Most forms of Christianity. I understand it enough to defend Christianity when i think it needs defending or to support a friend in that way if they need it. But i feel like i'm lacking the whole reason why Christians believe what they do. I seem to always have questions and the answers they give don't seem complete.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I understand muslim and mormon and wicken a little. I've read there book and saw documentaries.

ifollowjesus

Answer by ifollowjesus at 3:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Lets see. I think I understand shintoism pretty well. The idea that all things have spirits is pretty sound to me and I like some form of religious discipline.

The one I understand the least? Fundamentalist mormons, or fundamentalist christians. OH and Scientologists. Just watch southpark to get what I mean on that one...
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 3:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I think there's a big gap between how much people THINK they know about other religions, and what is actually factual. A lot of people believe false info about other religions or use biased sources to get their info.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Other than mine I would say I know most about the Jehovah's Witnesses because my mother raised us in that religion. The one that I don't understand the most would probably the Scientologists (I believe that's what it's called)
    BethRae

Answer by BethRae at 8:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Well i grew up in a baptist church. My husband is wiccan(spelling is wrong im sure sorry) So i do know alot about that. I told my husband i want to know about it because we are going to teach our son both religions. I know that seems odd but i dont look down on other religions or judge people by them. It is just a belief. My husband knows alot about every religion so he tells me about some of them. But im not sure what religion i understand the least. Every religious book is open to interpretation. We can all read the same thing yet get something different out of it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Other then what my son tells me or I had read I have little expose-er to other religious, I had to say the one other then Christian that I believe it, the one I know that most about is Jewish . My first job was living with a Jewish family and being the mother .s helper or maid and babysitter. I was allow to sat in on the Sabbath meal one week, help her clean the house for passover. I remember have to make sure I get my pay on Friday before sunset or I would have to wait for Monday because they would not touch money during the sabbath and I would be at my parents house on Sunday. I remember how they had the kitchen divide in half because they need a separate set of things for meal and for dairy. They believe in the same God I do except they do had accept his son Jesus. I do not understand siencetory at all, I listen to the reporter on night line as he try to interview because the man get up and left.

Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 9:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2009