writing in mirror image

My 7 year old has been writing in mirror. Like if you held it up to the mirror you could read it perfectly. This is what the teacher told me at the conference today. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it the first sign of something or no big deal? I know Divinci did it on purpose, but I dont think he does that. She tells him to correct it and he does. He is very bright for his age and tests higher than average for his grade level.

stickyfingers

Asked by stickyfingers at 12:00 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sounds like it could be dyslexia. I used to write my 5's, 4's, S's, e's and such backwards and p's,q's and 9's were completely interchangeable as were b's and d's.
    Have her get checked out. She might need special classes. I know that if you are in Canada you can get special home care paid for by the government as well as a bunch of other great resources - sorry I don't know about any other countries though :(
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 12:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Usually it is the S and some other letters. But it has also been everything on the paper. SO strange. How do you even get you child tested? Who do you call or ask? The school or another specialist?
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Did you ask him WHY he was doing it. I caught ours doing this one day and I asked him why he was writing that way when I KNEW he could write it properly. He said he was just bored and wanted to make it interesting. Maybe your son isn't being challenged enough, so he's making his own challenges.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• It is typical for students to reverse letters until 3rd grade. A seven year old who reverses things like Ss and 5s is perfectly normal. Is he struggling with reading? I wouldn’t' be concerned right now. Especially because he corrects it when the teacher points it out.

Sometimes this problem pops up when kids start a new grade because they are expected to write more so they work more quickly and aren't focusing on writing each individual letter like they did when they were younger. One thing I've done for my students is tape an alphabet strip right on their desk so they can look at it when they're writing.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I kept him out of school for an extra year and when he got into kindergarten last year he was just doing awesome! The teachers this year are younger and have less experience. I think my oldest son wrote a few of his letters backwards until 3 or 4th grade. He is not having a problem reading or anything and I dont think he was doing it for fun either. I will just stat having him write more for me in the evenings or something and kind of watch him that way. That seems like its all I can do for now
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 1:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My master's degree is in reading instruction. From what you say it doesn't seem like anything to be alarmed about. Sounds perfectly typical.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:37 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Kids write letters backwards. Writing letters backwards is not dyslexia.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My son does this as well he also tends to just randomly start writing from the right margin left. Most of the time he isn't even aware he is dong it and reads his work as if it written correctly.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 7:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Sounds like he's bored. What does your son say about it? Is he conscious of it? If so, he's probably just bored.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• NO he is not concious of it. I knew he sometimed wrote letters backwards and I believe that it normal when you are learning to write for a few years and he has only been writing for MAYBE 2 years. He just wasent interested before that. The mirror image thing is what concerns me. When I was asking the teacher about it she kind of seemed like it could be more of something that has to do with the way he interpets the letters between his brain and what his hand does. Does that make sense? I just have the feeling now that they are making a big deal out of nothing. i will keep an eye on it and have him practice at home that way I can ask him about it when he does it.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 10:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2009