Will a doctor lock me away for this?

I am really depressed and I know it. I would NEVER in a million years kill myself. With that being said, some days I just don't even feel like living. Like, say if tomorrow was my time to go, I wouldn't care. I know it sounds horrible. When I go to the dr. I want to be 100% honest, but I feel like if I share that piece of info, they will think I am suicidal and lock me away for a period of time, when I am not suicidal at all. I'm not sure if feeling like that is a part of depression since I would never commit suicide. I am just so stuck in a place in my life right now and I have been hating my life. I am 26 and still have put my degree on hold, all my friends are poor pretty much so I really cannot go out and do anything with them to just get away for a little bit. I just get so jealous of other peoples lives sometimes. I feel like I am basically stuck in my house with two toddlers every day with no adult interaction. Ughhhh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Health

• They don't always lock you up for that. I've been to the dr before and admited that I wanted to kill myself and had thought of ways to do it, and also admited that I don't think I really could because I'm such a scardy cat, they made me sign a promise that I wouldn't. I've had to work out a "saftey" plan that if I felt this way things that I would do to prevent me from killing myself. Come to think of it, I only got locked up because I took a few too sleeping pills and was walking down the side of a highway. And then because the meds weren't working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I don't think they will lock you away. I went to my Dr and told her that life just didn't seem worth living, that I wasn't suicidal I loved my family too much, just that I couldn't seem to feel any hope. She was super empathetic and just put me on an antidepressant which has helped immensely. Good luck and hang in there!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• they wont. I am bi-polar and go through nasty bout of depression sometimes. It is better to go out and get help and be completely honest than to do nothing and let it fester.
    The first thing I told my nurse after I had my son was that I am bi-polar and she hooked me up with a bunch of help. I have a nurse that comes to my home every 2-4 weeks to makes sure that I am ok and that my son is developing well - she is not there to check-up on me, more to help me when I need it. I also have a 'mothers helper' which is a lady who come again 2-4 weeks (more if I want) and she helps by bring crafts or we take walks with Ronin, she will sit with him for half an hour while I go to the store ect. There is so much help out there - take full advantage of it, for both yourself and your child. They wont lock you away for trying to get help.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 12:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Dear I truly believe everyone at some point in their life feels like you have described. No they will not lock you away unless you plan to or attempt suicide. Sounds like maybe you should volunteer at a hospital or senior assisted living to have the needed adult interaction and you can see how fortunate you are to have two healthy children, a roof over your head and the intelligence to attend school. The smallest things in life we over look are the most important. Imagine being stuck somewhere and no one comes to visit then a ray of sunshine comes in offers you a kind word and a smile, maybe even a much needed hug. Take this opportunity to be a blessing it will make you feel better about your situation and improve others day too so it is a win win. Depression is terrible, fight it with positive actions. I myself have felt like you do, doing something nice for someone else makes me feel better about me:) Good Luck
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 12:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Awww, thanks Amelora for the glimmer of hope. You response has made me cry b/c I honeslty hate my life so much right now and you have given me something to see that I can be helped. I never post anon b/c I can take the heat, but I just fear with this being cm and all, I would get bashed to high heaven and thats the last thing I need right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• 1countrygal....thx for the tips. I have always wanted to do something like that, but with two wild children under three, I'm not sure if that's a good idea LOL!! It's hard for me to sometimes find a sitter, but I can get one. I know I am fortunate for the things in my life and I hoenslty thank God for it every single day and I know that there are people out there far worse off than myself. Thank you for making me feel a little bit better :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I am not sure where you are, but are there any play groups in your area? I know that play group has been my life saver. I don't know what I would do with out them. Being stuck all day with kids is hard. Everyone needs a break and to talk to other adults. When you go to your Dr ask which resources are around you. You would be surprised at the amount of things the government has in place for mothers that no one knows about. Not only do I have the nurse and the home worker, but I there is a government sponsored play group 9wooo adult interaction) that is open 4 hours a day 5 days a week.
    Feel free to PM me or add me if you want to talk more. I hate seeing people suffer through this because no one tells people that there is help out there.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 12:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• if you went to a doctor for it they will set u up with a psychiatrist
    they will not lock you away hun...they only do that when ppl are acting very crazy and causing harm to others

DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• NO they wont lock you away. It is pretty hard to ba a stay at home mom! I have started going to MOPS and have met a lot of friends. You dont have to attend that church either. Go on their website. I think it is MOPS.org and you can find one near you. Take your firends withyou too! They make a breakfast for all the moms, do a craft, have a guest speaker and they take care of your kids too! Its great! Also they have playdates during the week and moms nights out. Its just good to get out and might be just what you need. Check if your local library has a story time for your kids, I also take mine to that. Its good to meet new people.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• They wont lock you away unless you have it planned out and can describe how, where and when youd do it hun. Be honest with them as much as possible.
    I did end up in the psych ward a few times b/c I had a plan or had ODed. Once I was hella stressed and tried to get in and couldnt b/c I didnt have a plan and they didnt think I was serious about killing myself. That time they talked to my therapist and DR tho who said they knew I wasnt serious but just stressed out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2009