3 month old that rolls to his belly to sleep.

My son is 3 months old and has been rolling over since he was about a month old. Very strong wiggle butt :). But he rarely flips back over. He can though. At night I lay him down on his back and he flips to his belly to fall asleep. Then I'll flip him back over once he's asleep and he might stay on his back for a few minutes, then he flips right back over onto his belly! I am very worried about SIDS and he is in the danger zone for his age (SIDS peaks at 3-6 months). I run a fan and try to get him to fall asleep sucking a passie. He sleeps in a crib in a sleep sac and nothing else in the bed. I'm doing what I can but how can I get him to stay on his back? Or should I just settle down and let him sleep on his belly. I heard once that when they can flip over on their own, youre good and what they do in their crib is their busisness. Advice? Has anyone else dealt with this?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 12:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There definatly right unless you plan on standing gaurd 24/7 your never gonna stop it. Keep doing what your doing. Make sure they are only sleeping on a sheet. Burying there face in soft comforters can be very dangerous. My daughter is 6 weeks old and hates sleeping and pretty much refuses to sleep on her back. But she has awesome neck control so i let her be a tummy sleeper.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• When my kids started to roll on their tummy to sleep I just put them to bed that way, I couldn't find a way to stop them so why fight it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I would just let mine stay that way. At first I did what you do and turn them back over but it was hopeless. He can roll back over if he needs to. Enjoy the fact that he is sleeping!
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My son does the same thing! He's 4 months and has been doing that for a while. I tried to put him in a sleep positioner but that only made him mad and he can get out of it or get in a bind trying to roll so we just let him sleep as he wants. My hubby and I are both tummy sleepers so we understand why he likes it lol.
    AustinPsalm139

Answer by AustinPsalm139 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• i agree- they're only in danger when they can't get back on their backs. If he's sleeping good, then he's fine.
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 1:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Mine were on their tummies from day one.

Babies die of SIDS sleeping on their backs, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• If he cant flip back over or cant lift his head then thats when i would worry. My son has been doing this for a few months now started around 3 months. I got the wedges that they have at walmart for when they are sleeping you can keep them on their backs or on their side. My son would still wiggle enough to turn to his side when he was on his back with the wedge but it made me feel a little better. Now i dont worry about it. He is 5 months old and rolls all over the place. I put him down in bed on his back and i wake up to him on his tummy. And he has been doing this for a few months now. Doctors dont know what causes SIDS. Thats why you can hear something different form every doctor that you talk to. If you worry then just check on em more durring the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2009