Technology: Is it giving us a better quality of life Or making us unappreciative greedy people?

I wonder about this as the holidays roll around. Do we really appreciate everything life has to offer us?

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 12:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it has great potential for good but there are many draw backs to technology. Especially for our young people. I hear kids complaining all the time about their parents won't get then the latest and greatest gadget. It also tends to isolate people, we are so wired we don't talk face to face.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• i remeber when i was younger, my cousin had the nitendo when it first came out, and i fell in love with it. i asked my mom for one and she told me she didn't have the money for it. i sadly accepted it. today i made sure my kids had the xbox 360(which i got on ebay for $180, last year), and the demand(well asking and wanting) of certain games was crazy!!! i became so preconceived with the thought of giving my kids everything that i didn't have, i forgot to instill appreciation! they say thank you, but don't show it. technology is a blessing and curse at the same time; i think you can catch my drift.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I see it as a wonderful tool, technology, but it is one of many things a parent has to teach their children to understand and appreciate and use properly. Plus it is so ingrained in our culture it is often easily overlooked as far as teaching and parenting goes.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Technology, like any other tool, has the potential for abuse, so, also like any other tool, the user must be taught how to use it properly.

Technology is a thing and as such cannot make us do or be anything than what we choose to do or be, so it is up to us as parents to teach our children what is and is not acceptable behavior, including how we relate to & use the many technological wonders of our modern world.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I limit my kids tv, computer time as a matter of a fact I make almost every mon. & wed game nights. With us being busy during the rest of the week My kids basically get tv & computer time during the weekend. Sometimes they act like they are going to go crazy without, but I make them entertain themselves with toys, books, games as long as the tv is off & no computer. I would probably lose my mind without my cell phone. I just wonder would we enjoy life if we were amish? could we appreciate everything GOD has given us if we didn't have very much? I can't always do it, but I try to stop & smell the roses.. to really just enjoy the simple things in life.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I have always enjoyed the simple life, the little things a lot of people take for granted in this hurried world we live in. Technology seems to deface humans specially on the phone where there are times that it is difficult or impossible to talk to another human being. It can be good but you shouldn't let it control you.

Answer by older at 2:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2009