Can you really poop giving birth?

I've heard you can!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, it is very common. My sil is a labor/delivery nurse and she says they don't mind, because it means you are pushing the right way.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• most women do involuntarily. I mean... there's not exactly a whole lot of space between the vagina and the anus, so sometimes if there's matter in the colon the pushing of the baby will actually push the stool out. It's gross but very natural.
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 1:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yes. I know its not the most attractive thing in the world but it happens. i was actually very afraid of doing this during my last labor and it apparently happened although I didn't know it. My dh said the nurse just quicly swooped it away and kept an eye out for the baby. my dh was the one to tell me. it's embarrassing but it happens to the best of us!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• The same muscles that push your baby out are also used by your body to defecate. So yes, it happens and is pretty common. My first baby, my body cleaned itself out pretty well during the early parts of labor and I didn't notice anything. My new little one, my body decided to go a different route and I did poop a little just before I started pushing.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:32 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yes you can i did lol
    proud_mum_mum

Answer by proud_mum_mum at 1:43 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yep, very common! I am doing my L & D rotation right now and have yet to see one mom NOT have a bowel movement during pushing. Honestly it's no big deal though. The nurse just quickly wipes it away and the mom's don't even seem to notice. It's just a part of life!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yep, it happens a lot because you push a baby out the same way you push a poop out. It's nothing to be embarrassed about though. A LOT of women poop during birth. The dr. just cleans it up quickly and that's that. They have seen far more disgusting things than poop.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I did. They cleaned it up really quickly. My husband didn't even know until after when I said something to him about it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2009