Losing a baby

Well as some know I just recently lost my baby this past Thursday. I am wondering what emotions did you feel? How did people treat you? How do you explain to a 2 year old that her brother or sister died without scaring them? Thanks for any replies..

mom2hailie

Asked by mom2hailie at 1:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry for your loss. I don't think I would say anything to your toddler. I don't think they are old enough for that.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a baby when I was almost 6 mos. along. My older 2 children were 2 1/2 and a year old. I just didn't say anything. At that age they foregt things pretty quickly and my sons never asked about the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I am sorry for your loss....But i am a little confused. Did you have a misscarage? If thats what happened then if your 2 year old asks about the baby i would just say that he is sick and wont be here. They are too young to be told anything else. After a short time they will forget all about it. This has never happened to me but my stepmom just after she married my dad. Once again i am so sorry. I hope all works out well. Bless you and your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I am so very sorry for your loss. When I had a miscarriage I went thru the stages of grief (barganing, denial, depression, anger, acceptance). I had 'good' days and 'bad' days and I tried to take it one day at a time. My boys were 8 and 6 at the time, and we just told them that things did not work out with the baby. They seemed to accept this. Most people were sad and offered sympathy although I did have a few family members who were kind of callous they wanted 'all the details' and make some comments that I found to be in poor taste.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• MizLee, thats how it has been for the last couple days. At first it was the whole walking on egg shells around us, now its what happened? Was it a miscarriage, was I really pregnant some very off color questions and honestly it didn't bother me. What bothers me is when people try to give me reasons why my baby died. I know these things happen for a reason and sometimes we never know but when will people understand that I had a real baby that was alive, moved, great heart beat and now today there is nothing but like a huge empty void. And some of the advice I have gotten about telling Hailie has been great except for a few people actually told me to tell her the baby went to sleep and God has the baby. Okay if I was a kid and someone said that to me, I would never want to sleep. Good and bad days have past, so far today is alright just a headache from hell. My condolences to you and your family. I totally feel your pain.
    mom2hailie

Answer by mom2hailie at 1:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2009