For any Military out there? Is it true that now spouses can use the GI Bill?

If so how do I go about doing so? My husband is currently at BCT and I cant just ask hime which im sure he probably doesnt know anyway. LOL But I do know that he did do all the paper work for it and we pay money every month for it for a year.

ashleejo

Asked by ashleejo at 1:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in

• Hmm. My husband says that i can use his GI Bill. ...but i'm not sure if it's true and i don't know how to do it. However, i do know that the department of defense is offering grants/scholarships to military wives. ...i think it's 6,000. I'm getting ready to start school online and my whole degree will be paid for! :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• thats what i am wanting to do go to school online
    ashleejo

Answer by ashleejo at 1:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• find a school online and mention that you need financial assistance and that you are a military spouse. They should be able to help you! :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:01 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yes you can but he has to be wiling to transfer it to you.  However in order for him to do that, he has to have served 6 years active duty and re-enlisted for another 4 years.  And you have to be in listed in DEERS.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Benefit_Comparison_Chart.htm

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• that has always been true.
    he just needs to have so much time left in service, since its his first stent in most likely he will have to reup to give it to you and you dont get the full amount if you use the old gi bill. you can opt new or the old version. the new one is called post 911 gi bill,
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 6:13 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• "find a school online and mention that you need financial assistance and that you are a military spouse. They should be able to help you! :) "
    you can get the mcaa scholarship, free 6g for spouses. thats it, their are no other scholarships for spouses.
    source..im a military veteran and military spouse and pursuing an education in child psychology
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 6:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• yes but if you use the money he can not. Or at least thats how I understand it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:24 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yes, you can. Contact the education dept. on your base or post, and they can direct you. As someone else pointed out, there is also the CAA or MyCAA program that allows up to 6000 a year in money for you. Also, depending on what post you live on, there are additional scholarships for military wives.
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 8:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/transfer.htm

that will tell u everything u need to know
    Anonymous

• There needs to be a certain amount of time left on your husband's contract, or he may need to re-enlist. If it's school money you're after, I STRONGLY suggest MyCAA. That's what I'm using to finish my degree and it was easy (and fast!) to get approved. Go to militaryonesource.com for information and to sign up. Best of luck!
    austin_amazon

Answer by austin_amazon at 12:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2009