Anyone else feel like their skin is crawling?

I'm 34, and was perimenopausal until July. Found out in August that I'm pregnant. Talk about a hormonal rollercoaster... I was used to the skin crawling/biting ants feeling I had for months, and the doctor said it was because of the perimenopause.

During that time, skin crawling is usually caused by a decrease in estrogen. Obviously, with pregnancy, low estrogen is not a problem. So why has my skin been crawling again for the past 3 days? I haven't used any new soaps, I don't have allergies, and virtually all other causes have been ruled out. I can't find this listed as one of the "joys" of pregnancy anywhere.

I have an appointment with the midwife on Thursday, and will talk with her about it then, but thought I'd ask here in case anyone else has felt this way. So, have you?

kestrelscall

Asked by kestrelscall at 1:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• its due to anxiety. any time we feel like our skin is crawling, or we just want to crawl out of our skin, its our body trying to inform us of the overloaded amount of anxiety we are experiencing, but are unaware of it. i don't know if that makes sense to you or not, but its the best way i can reword it(i experienced it when i was going to a depression group).
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I agree with Ladyd. Shes right..its due to high anxiety levels. I have anxiety and depression and experience this all the time. Probably almost everyday and it freaks me out sometimes. Just try and relax. Take a warm shower and drink some hot tea or something. Do yoga.. it helped me:)
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 6:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Okay, for how odd this may seem, I am a man, but had to register on Cafemom, so I could respond to this. I did a search on Yahoo for this particular disorder and it brought me to this website. When I read the question and then the responses, my eyes started to well-up due to being so happy. I am an intense person and often feel stress and anxiety. My skin started crawling a few months ago and it is at a point now that I almost cannot deal with it. This is the first day that I have researched and to find your responses gave me joy. I just need to learn how to cope with it, which for me will be working out and finding more ways to relax. Thanks so much for your help...it means the world.

Joe
    Chicago
    jmackinac

Answer by jmackinac at 11:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2009