Help on hair color?

I haven't cut my hair in well over a year...havent colored it probably about 3 years. I never blow dry it but its pretty long. I really want to get it cut and then maybe color it. It's a mousey brownish (i've been told it looks dirty blonde though) it just depends on how long i've been in the sunlight. I don't think we can afford for me to get it professionally colored. Whats the best way to color it maybe blonder mysefl? My natural hair color is so weird I can NEVER match it to any samples on the shelf. I have never colored my hair before, so I need any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I would go to a beauty store and have them suggest a color that will best work for you, if you want to cut it, depending what you like you can get a bunch of long layers or long and short layers, I just go my hair cut she did short and long layers and gave some body to my hair, I love it.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• it really depends on what you want to do. if you want little commitment to color, and less maintenance, a semi-permanent or gloss will jazz up your existing color, and you won't have regrowth to deal with. if you're wanting a brighter, lighter look, i'd suggest just a few highlights around the face and through the crown..you'll have some regrowth, but it will be gradual and not as noticeable as all-over color, as long as the highlights are subtle and not bold, thick stripes.
    also, i would never trust a beauty supply employee to tell you what to do, unless you know for certain they have knowledge. most of them DO NOT! just because they work there, does not guarantee they are skilled in the color department.
    GL!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2009