Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support question?

I have a 4 year old daughter whose dad was in the navy i think he got out but i am not 100 percent sure if he did then he just got out last month. I have it court ordered that he is suppose to pay me so much child support a month and he hasnt paid me yet this month. If he did get out of the navy then he has to take me to court to have the child support go down. Am i right? Doesnt he have to pay the same amount until he does that? What should i do just give him til next month or call the courts?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • Call the child support office. What kind of a man doesn't keep in touch with his child?

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • His child support stays the same regardless of his financial circumstances, unless one of you petitions the court to change it. The only thing that getting out will have changed is that the Navy may have been pulling it directly from his check, and now it would be his responsibility to pay it, which could be why you didn't get it this month, if he did in fact get out.

    Do you two have a fairly decent relationship? Could you just call him and ask him why you haven't gotten it this month? Otherwise, since from what you say you've been getting regular payments until now, I'd give him another month. He might just be trying to find a job and hasn't yet. After about 2, maybe 3 if you really want to stretch it and be nice, missed payments, then I'd contact the court and find out what your options are.

    Good luck!

    Answer by tropicalmama at 6:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • no we dont have a good relationship mostly because of the fact that he left me 6 months pregnant for his ex who was married and only calls his daughter once a month if that.. And he didnt start trying to be in her life until i got married. Plus he used to bounce checks on me all the time thats why i had to take him to court. So the only way i could get in contact with him is if he calls and i dont know when they would be.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • His child support stays the same even when he is not working. I can tell you that child support will not do much for him being behind a month. If you have a court order, you need to make sure it goes through child support, have the money direct deposited into your checking or saving account. It should be taken right out of his checks. Also, laws differ from state to state. I am going by experience in Wisconsin. My son's father hasn't been around in 13 years but I get child support every month until 2 months ago. He is 2 months behind. I don't do anything because I will get his tax return in the spring. If it gets too far behind, I have no problem turning him in and having the courts deal with him but it has to be a certain dollar amount before anything is done. Good luck!!!

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.