spermicide as birth control is it effective?

i REALLY hate condoms but dont want to use the pill or any other hormonal type b.c. i bought some spermicide i believe its call monoxyl 9..i may have spelt it wrong. anyone use it & is it just as effective as other b.c.? we're only going to be using it for a couple months or so. if anyone has any other suggestions let me know. thanks!

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 8:06 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Health

• Yep, a couple of months and you will be pregnant...it is only72-80% as effective as hormonal bc.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• We got pregnant while on it. We were happy about it though, if you don't want another right now, I wouldn't suggest it.
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 8:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• It is about 80% effective, when you say a couple of months, are you getting surgery or planning on another baby? Spermicide mad me itch, but if you want nothing hormonal and don't like condoms, that is about all that is left! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• from what I understand, it's most effective with condoms. W/o them, not nearly as effective. If you want something non-hormonal, have you considered a diaphram or IUD? I believe both of those are non-hormonal. (I'm not entirely sure, I've only ever used condoms, the pill, and tubal)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• i originally had an iud but took it out because we were trying to concieve, i became pregnant but unfortunately miscarried. so we just want to use something for a few months before trying again.
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009