What do you think will be the outcome of extreme parenting?

I have recetly read a book that talks about it and that people think they are doing the right thing but it usually back fires.

For example: "So you have managed to be perfect and never once raise your voice in anger to your child. Do you really want him to think his Kindergarten teacher hates him because she has PMS and yells at the class"

And it also talks about "helicopter parenting" and the fact that children who have been guided by their parents in every aspect of their lives for 18 years get to college and have no idea how to function. The book also talks about how college professors will give a student a grade that they didn't agree with and they will call their mom in the middle of class and want her to talk to the professor about the grade.
What do you think?
*This book does not say - "go and yell at your children" or "never guide them in anything" it talks about how to maintain a healthy balance of things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well this isn't an intelligent answer but DUH!!! My kids are yelled at, the get punished, they've been spanked, they CIO when they were babies, I refused to wear them like an accessory etc....They are also very confident in their place at home, they know that hub and I love them more than anything. They know all about action and consequence, they know that life isn't always fair but that doesn't mean they have any right to be bitter people
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• What is the name of this book? I want to read it! I agree that some things people think they are doing for the best like the grade thing. But you have to know when to stop. When a child is no longer a child and is in college then they need to take what they get. They cant call their parents to talk to their professor. Thats just ridiculous. But please tell me what book this is. Im a new mom and i want to read some more books on different parenting styles. I know i wont stick to just one but i like to know what different people do.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• They do have to funtion in the real world or you will have 40 year olds still living at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• The book is called "Even June Cleaver would forget the Juice box" by Ann L. Dunnewold, Ph.D.

There is also one that I have been trying to find called How to Mess Up Your Child's Life: Proven Strategies & Practical Tips
    ~ Olivia Bruner
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• What I find ironic, is that 40 to 50 years ago these new age parenting styles were totally unheard of, that generation worked hard, didn't think the world owed them, they weren't as disrespectful as people are now etc...Since the 70's and all these new age parenting, society has gone down hill.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• op here- the book also talks about the reasons we feel the need to do these things and how to balance it all out, I would recommend it to any mother, it's a great book.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• FINALLY a book about how I feel about these "perfect" moms
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 8:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I agree with zachysmommy 100%
    So many parents today in their twenties were raised this way, are now having kids. Can you imagine a parent who never faced criticism raising a child who won't be able to handle it either? Society has done itself no favors with all the coddling that's going on.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:00 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Sounds like an excellent book that I need to read. I even like the name! Thanks for sharing.
    I worked with a guy who I think was probably raised with this kind of parenting. He had this sense of entitlement. He didn't want to buckle down and do the grunt work that everybody in management has had to do because he thought it was beneath him. Hello! Welcome to the real world...and I don't mean a reality show where amazing things happen without any real effort.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I think it is a mistake to treat the child as though he is the center of the universe. He should be taught about being polite and caring for others. Criticism can be given in a kind but firm way. Boundaries for sure.

Answer by Bmat at 9:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2009