How can I get a 3 year old to want to sleep in her bed after she has slept in ours for a year?

AMcKim

Asked by AMcKim at 8:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• maybe a new bedsheet set ( her fav cartoon car. ) but honestly it will take work for you, everytime she gets up and goes to your room u have to put her back in her room and keep that going till she stops. or have to listen to the crying and just tell her mommy needs u to sleep in your bed. good luck mama..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I think it can kind of be confusing for them, if they always did and then you try to get them out all of a sudden. Our oldest would end up in our bed every night when she was around three. We never made a big deal about it, she's four now and she does not come in every night anymore. We found a beautiful bedset with horses on it and now she really likes sleeping in her "horse bed"!
    Good luck!
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Plenty of light in her room. Two or more nightlights, for example. Keeping the doors open between your room and hers. Plenty of cozy stuffed animals to keep her company.

Answer by Bmat at 8:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• It's going to take a lot of work and patience. Do you have an established bedtime routine? Dinner, bath, cleaning up room, picking out a book, then bed? If you have a routine that helps. Read her a bedtime story in her bed. Crawl in with her, cuddle her up and read the story. After that, kneel next to it with the lights out, massage her face, talk smoothly about sleeping and when she's about half asleep, gently give her a kiss and tell you you'll see her in the morning. Back out slowly, don't turn your back on her, and stand outside her door. If she stays there and cries, that's good, if she gets up, gently take her hand, lead her back in and in as few words as possible tell her its bedtime and she needs to go to sleep. If she's the type to get up it's a long process, if she just cries herself to sleep you'll be fine. You might want to try too having her pick out a pillow from mommy's bed. The scent may help.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Graudally and with bribery. Once she it's not new, you can drop the bribes. But itll make the transition easier!

And since moms of cosleepers typically aren't the cio type, know that it's NOT necessary. we transitioned my daughter from our bed to a double bed at 18 months, and it took a week and there were zero tears. It can be done.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Ha this sounds like a page from my own book! While my husband was in the fire academy my 3 year old daughter got in the habit of sleeping with me. When all was said and done and we moved into a new house the thing that worked the best for us was the bedtime routine. Dinner, bath, stories and then let him or her know you will be in to check on them.
    kidomom

Answer by kidomom at 1:05 AM on Nov. 4, 2009