something strange...idk...child support

so my son's father has been in jail for 10 months...his mother has been trying to keep up his child support payments for him but really has been only paying half payments. so the child support office contacted me and said they were going to garnish his wages and i told them good luck cuz hes sitting in jail. well i got this strange call at work yesterday from their office asking me questions about what jail he is in and how long he has been in jail....what could that be about? he did'nt go to jail for non-payment or anything...can they keep him in jail and put him on a work program for not making full payment? I just thought it was weird that they would call me asking about what jail he is in and all.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• They probably just need proof of wants going on. What a deadbeat letting Mommy take care of his lazy bad *ss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I have always been told that if he's in jail, he doesn't have to pay for the time he's incarcerated (b/c he obviously isn't making any money)

Answer by missanc at 8:43 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• not even back pay?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I think they asked because they have reason to belive that he is not in jail and are looking into it. I would call them and ask about it. That does seem a little odd that they would do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• they may just be wondering if he is in there and for what reasons..and even though its not his moms responsabilty kudos to her for trying..but i hope when he gets out they get him to pay his own cs and he pays his mom back for helping out. they might also see if there is a work program were he is to garnish anything...idk. i know if they do work its next to nothing..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• his mother has always wiped his azz. i hate her for doing that although i am thankful she is helping...she's not doing it for my son, shes doing it to keep her son out of jail.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• he will have to pay for the time in jail, they put it on back pay, unless you sign off that he don't have to pay it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• It is basically up to you to provide them with current information of him if you have it. They can then verify where he is and why. They may keep him in there, or take him to court if he is behind...before he went in. In Ohio it depends on the amount he is behind before they would arrest him. My ex is looking at 3 fellony counts if they ever catch up with him. One for each of our children he is behind. He cant renew his drivers license either.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• shay - yes, he would have to pay back pay and resume payments once he gets out. But someone in child support enforcement once told me that the reason they don't want to send a father to jail (for non payment) is because he wouldn't have to pay while he's in jail.

Answer by missanc at 11:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2009