Doctor question

I have an OB appointment today, I'm 38 weeks. If they want to give me an internal exam to see if I'm dialated, can I refuse? I don't want to know if I'm dialated, because I know it means nothing.

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 8:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes, you can refuse...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• yes you can!!! just tell the nurse when she says to drop trow that you won't be getting a VE check today. when the dr comes in just tell him that you don't want to get any VE checks.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• yes you can refuse
    and please do
    I got my dilation checked and for like 3 days after I was a mess trying to get labor going...yeah false hopes....I have another appt today, wow...we'll see
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You can refuse but you should still let them do it. Just tell them that you dont want to know if you are dialated. You can be dialated for weeks before going into labor. My friend was dialated to 2 for a month before she gave birth. And it had to be induced. But it is good for the doctor to check. This way they can keep track of your progress.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I agree with anon. You can refuse, but you should still let them do it, as they are trying to make sure you are in good health down there, so close to delivery. It is their job to moniter your prenatal health. Just tell them you don't want to know.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yea, you're right anon. & sweetmoonem. I'll do that.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• my midwives would always ask. they said it doesnt matter either way.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Refuse if you want. As you said, dialation does not equal impending labor so all that happens with that info is that it gets written on your chart and nothing is done with it. Also, every time they check you, you risk exposure to infection. Its a personal choice- but there is no real medical benefit. Most people just go along with it to satisfy curiousity or in hopes of it triggering labor.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 10:08 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Definatly do not refuse for the sake of you and baby. What if something was wrong? That doesnt make any since to me why you would even think about refusing that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• When I was exactly 38 weeks I was dialted to a 2 1/2 and was 100% effaced and went into labor the very next day so yeah I would let them check you to have a piece of mind. GL and congrats!!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2009