Do they have anger management for 5 year olds?

My five year old Daniel has a very violent explosive temper. He never hits people, but he gets very mad over things he shouldn't get mad about. He throws things and intentionally breaks his toys out of anger. I know it's not healthy for him to react this way at such a young age, but I don't know what to do with him... Him and his brother are like night and day. My three year old Dylan is very emotional about everything, and when he gets over excited with any emotion whether it be happy, sad, mad, he cries.

Chevellechic

Asked by Chevellechic at 8:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know about anger management, but when I separated from my ex I took my then 4 and 5 year olds to a psychologist as a preventative measure. She talked to them about feelings, and about it being okay to feel them; but she also talked to them about appropriate things to do when you feel certain ways (like it's okay to hit your pillow if you're angry, it's not okay to hit the wall). I think it helped them handle their feelings and learn to talk about them as they got a little older.

Answer by missanc at 9:03 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Talk to their pediatrician and get a referral to a pediatric psychologist

AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 9:03 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• im going thru the same thing with 2 of my kids..my daughter is the worst when she was 3 she went to a ear nose and throat specialist and they found several callous on her vocal cords which is not normal! she screamed so much..the docs solution was to completely ignore her fits and not to make eye contact at all.over time it did work she is 99% better with the fits its hard to do but its effective,kids want an audience they feed off our reactions we cant give in,so it makes alot of sense to me.my son is sooo sweet and respectful but when he gets mad he punches holes throws things and he has pushed me before,i think anger management is a good thing and if we dont start now who knows what they will do when they get older..i say go for it,it cant hurt!
    coffeefreak996

Answer by coffeefreak996 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yes, it's called spanking his behind when he acts up and don't let him act like a little brat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• a good dose of discipline would probably help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Keep a food diary. Do you notice his behavior is worse after eating certain foods? Remove ALL artificial colors & flavors, HFCS, excess sugars from his diet. Ask your dr for a food panel rast test for IgG & IgE to rule out common food sensitivities. My son always overreacted to everything. I know where youare coming from.
    After the 3rd set of allergy testing, this one for IgG, we found out that he was highly sensitive (but not allergic) to wheat, cow's milk, soy, eggs. These were a big portion of his diet. We removed these foods and removed the behaviors. Three months later he graduated therapy. Feel free to pm me.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Consistency, telling him exactly what he did wrong/giving him an alternative and making sure to praise when he reacts "properly". My DS used to have terrible fits over the most trivial things example if his PB&J was "upside down" if his socks were on the "wrong feet" ect... so I know where you are coming from. I talked to the pediatrician about it and he told me I wasnt going to like his "diagnosis" but I needed to be tougher on him! If Dylan broke a toy in a fit it went in the garbage and didn't get replaced or fixed. Broke my heart to throw out gifts that I very well could have fixed but after a few of them he got the picture! If he didn't like how I served his lunch I gave him 10 minutes to start eating or it was gone and nothing until dinner. And ignoring the fits as much as possible goes a long way in eliminating them but you have to be very consistent with it one slip of attention and it keeps the fits coming.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I would start taking toys away when he acts up (that way he doesn't have as many to intentionally break) I would try to talk to him about WHY he is acting like this, the might be something bothering him. You could talk to his ped like another poster said, and make sure you keep up with the discipline so that he understands that what he is doing is wrong and will NOT be accepted.

Also to the anon answers that were snarky...how do you know that she isn't disciplining her child? Are you her? NO! so back off.
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My 5 yr old is that way as well. We have started to shift his diet to see if that helps.
    I ignore his behavior until he goes after my 3 yr old or 21 mth old then I have to react. Ignoring sometimes helps but sometimes not.

Consistency can be hard when they know the moves and dont react or it doesnt phase them.

I think most parents know to praise the good and not the bad. I hear that suggestion a lot too. I always want to say DUH of course he gets praised up the wazoo when he does well. LOL

If you ever need to talk you can send me a message. Good Luck!

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• To the anon who said something about spanking and discipline if this child has a behavioral disorder spanking will only make things worse! So think before you speak..
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2009