10-11yr old girl & christmas gift???

What would you get her? I'm so lost as to what she would want. All she asks for are things like a laptop, mp3, ipod...you know...all the stuff a grown should ask for...not a young girl...whatever happened to barbies, hair stuff, music, cd player (the normal 10 yr old girl stuff)???? I refuse to get her that stuff! I think she should get stuff for her age, not my age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Holidays

• Kids have a lot of choices these days and are a lot more advanced with technology at the ages that we played with barbies, dress up, played house, etc. I also have a daughter in the tweens and am struggling to come up with ideas. I've started to pick up a few things: Kids watch, earrings, robe, digital camera for youth ($29.99 at Sears), IPod or MP3--basic model at Walmart for $29.99, etc. I remember when my parents told me that they would spend the day in the woods making mud pies, going for walks, etc. Those days are gone. The world is so much more advanced. You may have to give in and get with the times. Good luck!
    MommyManic

Answer by MommyManic at 10:13 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I think you should think about the electronics that she is asking for. 10 seems too old for barbies...she could still bike ride, rollerblade, but an ipod or a DSI is a reasonable gift in my opinion. She prob doesnt need her own laptop if you guys have a computer she has access to. Clothes are a good gift, cute boots, gft card to hair stylist, perfume, dvd, nail polish forstocking, earrings, sports stuff, and some electronics, digital camera with scrapbook stuff. She is old enough for a hobby instead of toys..like craft stuff, of photography, a guitar...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My son got the Ipod shuffle last christmas and he loves it. Its the least expensive Ipod at only $50 (or less if you find one on sale) and it is super simple, just a small 1" rectangle that holds I think 150-200 songs, I can't remember how many. That would be a good starting point and you don't have to jump right in to the touch screen ipods or anything.

You could buy her normal girly stuff, like jewelry making kits, clothes, shoes, etc, but I can guarantee that the Ipod would be one of the best things you could get :-)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My 10 year old has not played with Barbie in years now. She also has a netbook as does her 8 y/o sister. We have considered ipods for them but am not sure at this point. The stuff she is asking for is normal 10 year old stuff today, times are changing. Heck I would not buy a Barbie for my soon to be 9 y/o unless she requested it.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2009