The Flu

Please help me understand if I have a reason to be concerned. I have a niece with a four year old daughter that has been having a fever since Tuesday of last week. She took her daughter to the doctor on Thursday and they did a strep test(which came out negative), no other test like the flu test. Which is a swab in your nasal cavity. They didn't prescribe anything but told my niece that her daughter has the swine flu and to just give her Tylenol. Here we are a whole week later and she still has a fever still of 103.2. I know that when my 8 year daughter had a fever they did the flu test and it came out positive and they prescribed her Tamiflu. Don't know if the age makes a difference for prescriptions but this just doesn't sound right to me. Help!

Boriquamom123

Asked by Boriquamom123 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If she has the Flu, it's too late for Tamiflu. If she is still spiking that high after a week, she needs to go back to the doctor
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• if you've already had flu symtems for more than 3 days tamiflu wont help, tamiflu is to help prevent it from getting worse.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• ...if you are just getting the flu
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I have two friends who's children are 7 and 10 and they have been sick with the swine flu for 10 days now (their cases have been confirmed). The parents were told by the doctor to just keep the child comfortable and give them Tylenol for the high fever and to watch their breathing. I've heard that the local hospitals are not sending swabs away for swine flu confirmation because laboratories can't keep up and many cases are not the swine flu. Hope she gets better soon! Life sucks when our loved kids are sick.
    MommyManic

Answer by MommyManic at 9:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Thank you. However, If she started showing signs on Tuesday and went to the doctor on Thursday wouldn't the Tamiflu have been right for her. Now a week later I know it is to late. But I wonder if they are even really know if she even has the flu. Or are they just counting her as another number.
    Boriquamom123

Answer by Boriquamom123 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Without other signs and symptoms the Dr wouldn't test for the flu, just a fever is not reason enough to test so maybe that is why they didn't. For this amount of time and the fever has not broke yet, I would get her back in. If it is the flu or not she still needs to be checked for other possible reasons.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Most places aren't testing any more except in extreme cases. And for a confirmed case of which type of flu, it has to be sent out to the lab, not just done in the office. The swabs (as in those similar to what they use to test for RSV) are not the most reliable.

If her temp isn't controlled with Tylenol (or Motrin) your niece should have called the doctor again, at the least.

Fluids and rest. Yes, it can be over in a few days...and it can take longer. If it's just a fever and no other symptoms, it's doubtful it's the flu anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Tamiflu only works if started within the first 48 hours of symptoms so Tues to Thur would most likely be over 48 hours UNLESS she was taken in EARLY on Thur than her symptoms showed up on Tues (if that makes sense??) Tamiflu does not treat the flu, it just cuts down on the length of it.

If she still has a fever a week later, my guess is that it is not the flu. Maybe she should get re-cultured for strep becuase it could have just not showed up on the strep test (I have had that happen before) or there are other things it could be (ie Coxsackie virus)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Has she tried elderberry syrup? The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.

When my daughter had H1N1 in May, her fever lasted about 3.5 days and never went over102.5

Answer by rkoloms at 11:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Tamiflu is not a magic automatic prescription with the flu. It really does not do much or cure swine flu. Some doctors are just handing out tamiflu easier then others. Just like some doctors pass out antibiotics when they are not needed.

If that girl still has a fever for 7 days she needs to go back in. That is not normal even with this flu. Also if it went away and now spiked back up this is a STRONG indicator of a bacterial infection such as pneumonia.
    Anonymous