How do I get my 9 year old with ADHD remember to bring her homework home. I've tried attaching ribbons to her book bag as a reminder but it doesn't seem to be a priority for her.

MommyManic

Asked by MommyManic at 9:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• come up with a strict consequence for her, even children with ADHD should be held accountable for their actions.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Zakysmommy is right. Try reading some Love & Logic parenting books for good ideas for logical consequences. I highly recomend "Calming the Chaos" and the book about homework (can't remember the name). With an ADHD child it is also very helpful if the consequence is completely unexpected. I know this sounds sneaky, but when an ADHD child is surprised it causes the motor nurons to fire and it makes an impact. When you warn about consequences there is no surprise and no lasting impact. It took me a long time to learn this and realize it really did make sense.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• can she have a reward at the end of the month for doing all her homework? ...along with consequences at the time she forgets and no reward because she forgot.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I work with kids with adhd tutoring. Where does her homework stay? In her locker, or in her folder, or what? With the kids I work with, they are required to have their planner on their desk in every single class (yeah, we're in a weird county). So, I have my kids staple a homework folder to their planner. It's on their desk, and it goes with them everywhere, including home.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I have been working on this with my 13 yr old son that is ADD and I have yet to find anything that works. He has an assignment notebook that gets signed by his teachers, they remind him at the end of every class and by the end of the day, he still forgets. It is part of the ADD/ADHD that isn't helped by the medication. He has a note on his assignment notebook and in his locker that he sees many times a day. He has been grounded, had everything taken away and nothing helps. It is something that I have to deal with and so does he. Email contact with the teachers help as does his Math, Science and English books being online. His school also has online grades, so all his homework is online every day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Have you seen the watches that can be programmed with an alarm to remind you to do certain things throughout the day? I've not tried one with my son, but I've wondered if it would help.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yeah my DD is 13 and still doesnt bring it home unless we stay on her. We tried TONS of things the last 4 years and it hasnt worked. As long as her grades are good i dont worry to much but im ale to monitor them online daily. When we have a problem is when we talk about it again for the 9 millionth time.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 7:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Is there a classmate or friend who could give your daughter a friendly reminder at the end of the day?
    Fletchersmomma

Answer by Fletchersmomma at 11:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• What worked for us, we rented extra set of books to keep at home, if she still forgot papers or other necc. stuff we gave her assignments from the book in the chapter they were studying. Only had to do this one year she figured out she was doing alot more homework since she still had to do original assn. She is in college and does not forget any supplies she needs
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2009