Did your mom work outside the home during your childhood years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• She worked until she had me, and then stayed home with me from when I was born to when she and my father divorced just before I started first grade. Then she went back to both work and college- I think she finished the last two yrs of her degree by the time I was in 5th grade or so doing it part time? But she continued to work after that (obviously!). I know people argue that this takes time away from kids and makes them less independent b/c they get clingy, but I actually think the example made me a little TOO independent!
    elk571

Answer by elk571 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• When my brother and I were really little she ran a daycare at home. When we were in school she worked when she could find a job. My dad always worked full time though. When I was in grade school she started working as a CNA then went to school full time to become an RN. She worked Midnights, even after she got her RN's licence.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• no.. my grama raised me.. we had a beauty salon in the house, she worked out of that.. so she was a stay at home mama.. or rather "work from home".. lol
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 10:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My Mom went to work when I went to kindergarten. She hated it but times were tough so my Dad insisted that she went to work. She worked at the same place for 21 yrs and hated every moment of it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Nope.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• No my mom was just at home. When we went to high schools she started working part time jobs.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Not really.
    She would go and help my dad clean buildings(he was a custodian and ran his own cleaning service)every now and then so sometimes Id come home and she'd be gone but most of the time she was home.

When I was in high school she ran an in-home daycare.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• No. My mom stayed home and still does - she's a SAHGM (Stay At Home Grandma). With 12 grandkids, she's always with someone!

Answer by missanc at 11:20 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yea she did. But her and my dad always worked opposite shifts until my sister was old enough to stay home alone with me, so we hardly ever had babysitters. For a few years while I was in elementary school my mom ran an in-home daycare, so of course she was always there then. But other than that she always worked.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• When I was very young she did...she was a single mom. When I was about 5 she stopped working when she got together with my step-father and stay home with us until we were teens then started working. She was always home soon after or right before we got home from school

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2009