can't take it anymore!!

My son's almost 17 months. And his behavior is getting so out of hand. If I try to tell him no..he doesn't it even more, and he becomes obsessed with doing it..( pushing stereo buttons) or crying at my leg's when I take 2 seconds from playing with him, to come on here, do dishes, etc..I can't play with him ALL day! He also throws a fit when he goes time out in his chair for 3 mins..but then does it again right after, I just don't know how to deal with him, I follow all the advice the specialists give in books, shows etc..it doesn't work! ANY advice, I'm so fed up!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• P.S there's ton's more for an example that he does...those are just a few! From writer above.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I dont think time out work for his age. Try redirection. Why not get on cafe mom during his nap. Or let him sit next to you and play with a puzzle or something. If he is playin with the buttons i would tell him no and redirect him to something of his he can play with. Does he have a area in your living room that has his toys and things for him to do? I have a 15 month old and he does some of the same things. If he was touching the stereo and i said no 500 times i would pop his hand but that's me. I usually pull out my Childcare teaching when i give advice.. lol so redirect :) but.. if you agree with a light pop then go ahead. Pop his hand then redirect.. it usually works.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 10:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Calmly set him in the time out chair, ( 1 1/2 minutes for a 1 1/2 year old,) and say you are here because... If he gets up, put him back. Don't give him extra attention for doing what he shouldn't. You should not need to do nothing but play with him. He needs to learn to entertain himself (with allowable play.) At this age I used a playpen. The children had certain toys they could only use in the playpen, and I never used it as punishment.

Answer by Bmat at 10:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I wish my son would go in a play pen, he won't at all...he screams the WHOLE time! I gave up on that around 6 months or so. As for the redirect, he's so smart...I swear he's got the mind of a 4 year old, he goes right back over and over and over...it's horrible!! I think I need the NANNY LOL. Well ladies I love the advice, it's great to know I'm not the only mama that has to go through this!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Play pen???!!! Geez no no dont do that. it's like a jail! playpens are for sleeping ONLY. give him his own area in the room to play. You know i didnt child proof or move anything. I tell julian NO very firm then if he doesnt get it I pop his hand NOT hard but he gets a pop and i send him in the direction of his own toys. Works for me. playpens are small. what will a big 17 month old do? sit and play with 2 toys in his little jail.. ugh nope
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 10:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• when my 17month old is at my leg when im in the kitchen i just wiggle my leg and then pick her up and take her into the living room or were ever there are some toys.if she comes back do it again. she will cry but it works for me. with the whole button thing,get him a toy or even something that has butons for him to play with.or something new.give him a spoon and a pan
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• WAIT....... did you have my son?? ?haha.. he is SO like that and especially at that age and he will be 2 on Sat.. some days I thank GOD I work outside the home cause I would go f-ing crazy.!!! I honestly can redifrect til I am blue in the face and time outs.. well he now does something naughty and puts himself in there and just laughs or sings. its clearly not punishment for him yet...I started taking toys away and / or putting him in his room until he is ALL DONE whining or crying. Sunday I think we did that for 9 striaght hours.. OMG... mommy I feel your pain!!
    email anytime you need to vent cause I wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for my CM friends to support me
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• It's normal (and really really frustrating). When he keeps going back to something, you have to outlast him. One time, I spent three hours (yes, three hours) moving my toddler away from the cat bowl. There wasn't anywhere else to put it, or I would have found a new home for the stupid freaking bow. But I outlasted her. She hasn't touched it since, and it's been about a year.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My son is almost the same age, and he's exactly the same way. The only thing I can do is play with him. Sometimes redirecting helps, but sometimes it doesnt. Lately when he's been throwing fits, I'll say, "ok. if your gonna be mean I'm not gonna play anymore," so i'll go and sit at the computer desk and act like i'm doing something, and he'll come over, like he's apoligizing, and I'll say "ok, if your're gonna be nice, I'll play." It works most the time. If he gets too bad, I call grandma, lol. He's always an angel when she's around, the butthead. Lately when I change his diaper he's been wanting to throw fits too, i dunno if your son is too, but I take wipes and lay em on his face, and he takes it off and says BOO! so now when I change him, he always does that. It keeps him occupied. Good luck, and just try to stick in there, he won't be little and rotten forever, well at least he won't be little forever, lol
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2009