For mom's who doctors put there child on MIRALAX. Question

My DD doc said to give her miralax to unblock her and use it for... Can't remember how long. to relieve it. then go to benefiber until she starts eating more fiber she is almost 3 and doesn't eat everything i put on her plate so it's difficult to get her to eat fiber. I know when a kid is often constipated it stretches the colon and she is on benefiber now and she poops little poops all day for days and sometime the big one comes out but normally only in the tub. SO should i give her miralax longer so her stools stay loose and her colon comes back to shape? I am also calling the doctor.

HOW LONG DID YOU DOC SAY TO DO MIRALAX TO GET CHILD BACK TO NORMALL?

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Health

• According to the manufacturer's recommendations, a person should not use Miralax for more than two weeks. When my son was on Miralax, he actually had a bad reaction to it, so we have never used it again. He did much better with Lactulose, which is a prescription laxative. Lactulose is an indigestible sugar, so it's very sweet, and he took it willingly b/c it was sweet, plus it has no bad side effects, so he could take it for as long as necessary.

As for getting more fiber into your child, you can purchase bread w/whole grains, which will up her fiber intake w/every sandwich. You can also add soluable fiber to her water, milk &/or juice drinks. Just increasing her water intake, not other liquids, will help to ease her constipation. Fiber also comes from fresh, whole fruits & veggies and she doesn't have to eat a lot of them to get the benefits. Keeping her very active will also help to move the poop out.
    Anonymous