For mom's who doctors put there child on MIRALAX. Question

My DD doc said to give her miralax to unblock her and use it for... Can't remember how long. to relieve it. then go to benefiber until she starts eating more fiber she is almost 3 and doesn't eat everything i put on her plate so it's difficult to get her to eat fiber. I know when a kid is often constipated it stretches the colon and she is on benefiber now and she poops little poops all day for days and sometime the big one comes out but normally only in the tub. SO should i give her miralax longer so her stools stay loose and her colon comes back to shape? I am also calling the doctor.

HOW LONG DID YOU DOC SAY TO DO MIRALAX TO GET CHILD BACK TO NORMALL?

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Our doc just told us that the aim is to be having at least one bowel movement each day. Once our DD started that, I stopped the Miralax. I only had her on it for a week. We started giving her more raw fruits and veggies, apple juice, and whole wheat bread and make sure to set aside a time for her to try to poopy everyday. We just told her right out that her doctor wants her to poopy everyday. She's 3 and understood that just fine. Talk to your doc too, but hope this helps. :-)
    Hoozeluv

Answer by Hoozeluv at 12:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My daughter has been on Miralax for almost 2 years. Not everyday of course( in the beginning it was everyday). Just when needed. She has hard poops all the time, but its only needed when she can't go at all! I would talk to the doctor about this though! Good Luck
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Call the doctor and ask them how long she should be on it. Also, get high fiber cereals and pastas for her. You can mix the Benefiber in juice too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My son has been on Miralax for 2 years on a daily basis. His little body just doesn't allow for a regular poopy without it. My dr. assured me that this is not an issue, and he screams out in pain without it.
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 11:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2009