does anyone have any good ideas pleaseeeeee???

my 10 year old wont study his spelling words and he only has 10 a week and he is failing them but last year he never got less then an 92 on them i have took tv games away friends i dont know what else to do to get him to study without fighting with him and he only has to study them for 10 minutes a day please any help would be great thank you

mom42010

Asked by mom42010 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• maybe you can try offering a reward. i know punishment seems like the obvious answer, but IMO you have to remember hes just a kid - he just doesnt get it. he doesnt understand why its so important. so try explaining to him that if he does good in school, one day he will have a lot of money and maybe you can offer a reward for if he does his studying...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• make him write each word 5 times each every day before the test then test him on it an hour after he writes them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Try positive reinforement.....maybe a different aproach, try to make it fun and do it with him....make it a special time and offer a reward for good work...maybe earn mins towards games or something else he enjoys.....tell him how proud u r of him when he completes whatever homework or house work....goodluck :)
    Danickasmom

Answer by Danickasmom at 10:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Make it a fun, or if he has sports or something do it in the car on the way there when it isn't taking away from "fun time". My DS was/still is a horrible speller (so am I ) but teachers even though they did spelling tests would say "oh well you can type every thing and use spell check when you get older"! Totally pissed me off- anyway sorry about the side rant. So to get DS to study the words I would just randomly say them throughout the week-car time was the best, but also while making dinner, during dinner, while he was in the shower I would knock, pop my head in and say a spelling word! Anything to break it up, and not make it so boring.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• thank you all for your help we have tryed the fun thing we try the rewards so i will try the writing them, i am looking into a parenting class to help to so thank you all so much.
    mom42010

Answer by mom42010 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Have him write the words 5 times each, everyday. Sometimes, writing them over over again helps people remember wods. I do this with my notes for college classes, especially Spanish.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• maybe having a study buddy would work? maybe our boys would enjoy and learn more if they could buddy up and study their words together? (i live near her our kids are friends)
    starliteme6969

Answer by starliteme6969 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 8, 2009