for mom's who doctors put there child on MIRALAX. Question

My DD doc said to give her miralax to unblock her and use it for... Can't remember how long. to relieve it. then go to benefiber until she starts eating more fiber she is almost 3 and doesn't eat everything i put on her plate so it's difficult to get her to eat fiber. I know when a kid is often constipated it stretches the colon and she is on benefiber now and she poops little poops all day for days and sometime the big one comes out but normally only in the tub. SO should i give her miralax longer so her stools stay loose and her colon comes back to shape? I am also calling the doctor.

HOW LONG DID YOU DOC SAY TO DO MIRALAX TO GET CHILD BACK TO NORMALL?

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son was on it for 4 months (he was 5 at the time) because his colon had become discended and he could no longer tell when he had to go. So using the stuff helped get him regular and then he started to recognize on his own when he had to go. He's been doing great now for over three years.

The thing with the diet is important - and for me I just had to realize that as long as I kept giving in and making special meals for him he was going to keep refusing to eat the fruits/veggies and fiber that he needed to eat. So while it was a big struggle at first - he learned that if he didn't eat what he was given then that's all he was going to have. And that the snacks would be fruits/veggies/fiber bars and not grahm crackers. I didn't force him to eat anything - but I didn't give him the option to eat something else, he just went without. And I realized he wouldn't starve himself. He has a much better diet now.
    Anonymous

• When my son was put on it, it was for 30 days, one time per day. Then had to go back to the doctor for a follow up after that.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My son has been using it since he was 11 months old and he will be 2 on Sat. It can be used long term. We give it to him 2 times a day so he has "regular" stools - he has some food allergy issues that can't be figured out so until he either grows out of it or he gets older when the testing can be more accurate we had to give it to him. I also give him culturelle, its a probiotic ( I don't know about the spelling for that ) to help maintain good digestive system.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Stop feeding her meat and dairy. Stop feeding her processed sugars (like high fructose corn syrup) and grains (like white flower and white rice). Make sure that she drinks lots of water and eat lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    Contact me offlist if you would like meal or recipe ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I had to use miralax when it was still on script. I used it for about 6 mo. till i got more back to normal with things.
    My children get constipated very easily even though I try to give them only whole grain stuff. Prunes work wonders for them..if you can get her to eat them. If not raisins are good too..fiber & iron. Also I bought some yo-baby yogurt that had cereal in it & that was extra fiber for them. And even though people who dont know any better have bitched at me about it, I give them lots of juice. If I do not they just get so blocked up I have to resort to suppositories. Plain water wont work as well..for my kids anyway. also have to limit the cheese they eat.
    Anonymous

• my 13 yr old was on miralax and it didn't do anything .. he is still backed up after taking magnesium citrate . i think they may have to go in there and do something . he likes to "hold "it .. try giving your child prune juice or those prunes that look like candy . that may work . i wouldn't give her to much of the miralax .
    momofwildchild

Answer by momofwildchild at 2:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My son was severely constipated for months due to an undiagnosed milk allergy...we used miralax once a day for months...literally...maybe close to a year until we got his diagnoses. So yes, it can be used long term.

Was she impacted? My older son was on miralax for 6 months to treat impactation as well...well he was supposed to be on it for 6 months, but after 2 enemas and 2 months of miralax, he was regualar again and we stopped the miralax.

Id definitely take her back to the doctor to track down the underlying issues of her constipation.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 9:15 AM on Nov. 9, 2009