Did I damage my daughter's curly hair by using a brush?

My daughter used to have beautiful curly hair. I used to use a comb but everyday my daughter would just cry. I mean cry. I stopped using the comb and started using the brush. I did also use some detangle spray. Her hair isn't curly and just doesn't really look healthy anymore. Did I ruin her hair? Is it possible for her hair to becomre curly again if I was to change something that I do?

MWood123

Asked by MWood123 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• You can only alter hairs properties by chemically changing it...brushing is very rough on hair...use a pick or wide toothed comb instead of a brush.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Do you use conditioner when you wash it? I would use conditioner and keep it moiturized. A brush shouldnt have ruined her hair.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 11:03 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• what kind of brush did you use? if i use a soft brush on my dd's hair it makes it frizzy and if i use certian types of shampoo it makes it flat. i use a brush on my dd's hair and use panteen detangler

the kind of brush i use on her

josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I have very curly hair myself. I doubt that you damaged it, per se. Brushing curly hair tends to make it kind of frizzy, but it won't really damage it. I use a comb or a pick, I like the detangling combs sold at Sally Beauty Supply and I think Walmart sells them too. I use VO5 Leave-In Conditioner to help with frizz, and also I wash and condition it. Also, even though they say not to, I find that my curly hair tends to look better if I comb it while it's still wet. Not dripping wet, but like wrap it in a towel, wait about 5 minutes, then comb it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:08 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My daughter has curly, course, blond hair and we have to really use serious deep conditioners in her hair. We went through a period last year where it started looking unhealthy (she's 8 now) and found out we were going to need some serious conditioners - she got a few inches cut off and we started using a conditioner every night in the shower, plus a leave in when she gets out. We brush through it with a brush specifically made for curly hair - it's made by Goody and it's called an "Ouchless" brush - I bought it at a drugstore. But it's one of few brushes I bought that I can brush her hair with without it turning frizzy.

Answer by missanc at 11:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• you might have if its slightly wavy you should use a wide tooth comb and a good coditioner try and not shampoo too often and comb as soon as she done with a bath you could use something to maintain the curles while she sleeps but yes a brush could damage her curles.
    magical_mommy

Answer by magical_mommy at 5:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• why was she crying? did you rip her hair out or something? if she has really curly ethnic hair then you shouldn't even use a comb without her hair being wet at least. but if it's straight now i'd say her hair was meant to be that texture. childrens' hair changes just like they grow. but just to make sure you didn't damage it stop brushing her hair and next time be gentle. she shouldn't be crying when you comb it unless you're digging into her scalp. i know i have a sensitive scalp and i can't tolerate roughness. i hafta finger comb in the shower with conditioner.
    siren_sexy

Answer by siren_sexy at 1:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2009