I daughter is 3 and has a New England accent. How is this.

I am from Mass but havent lived home since i was 18. My daughter had never lived in Mass. She has a Mass accent. It's pretty obvious. I don't talk like that anymore. How is it possible for her to talk like that. You should hear how she says things. It's so funny. My other 4 kids don't talk like that. Just her. she says caaahhhh it's cute but strange. Anybody heard of this before??

Mrs.Oriaku

Asked by Mrs.Oriaku at 11:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• That NE accent is fairly common in preschool-aged kids (give or take a few years) who are still learning to master certain letter sounds. My DH and I were born and raised in southern/central NJ. We do not have North Jersey accents. No one we know has a New England accent - at least no one the kids are in contact with. However, for the longest time, my DD sounds like she was from the heart of Boston at times - it was always "cah" not "car." Or something like, "In gymnastics I got to hang on the bah" not "bar." She outgrew it between 4 and 5 years old. For her, it was simply an inability to master that hard r sound at the end of words until then.

My son never really had that issue. For him, the issue was "y" words. He'd say "o-o" not Yo-Yo. "Ellow" for Yellow."

Those speech nuances disappear before long. Sometimes I miss them. ;)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I have heard of it- I have done the same thing since I could talk, I was told. I was born in east central Iowa, but all my family is from southern illinois, where the drawl is alot looser than here in Iowa. My mom still says to this day that sometimes I say something that sounds just like how her brother would say something. He lives in southern Indiana now. I don't speak with any southern relatives very often at all, so IDK. Cool to hear someone else with the same experience:)
    annaica

Answer by annaica at 11:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Ha! That's really funny! My DH is from Mass. and I'm from N.C., so I'm anxious to see what kind of crazy, mixed up accent our little girl will end up with! She's 2 right now.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I have a friend who grew up in California but has a middle-western accent. Picked it up from his parents. My boys pronounce some things with a Spanish accent. I think it's cute.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You speak like that more often than you realize; probably more so after talking to people back home. My dh could still hear my NY accent long after I thought I had lost it.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2009