Help with my stubborn daughter who wont eat like she should!!

Ok Im starting to put my foot down on my 2 yr old daughter and her pickiness. Usually I give her a milk and snacky food throughout the day, because everytime I give her food she refuses it, like lunch and dinner. So now today Im really putting my foot down, I gave her only water today no milk, and put her breakfast at the table and showed her where it was. I feel if she is hungry enough then she will eat, right? Well its been 2 hours since she has been up and she still refuses to eat, of course unless I gave her milk and gram cracker, but Im tired of her not eating but only snacking and drinking milk all day, with occasional junk food. So any thoughts or advice for a mom who is tired of her little girl being stubborn.?!

Babys-Mom

Asked by Babys-Mom at 11:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have the EXACT same problem and its been like that for 2 years now with my son!
    I kept taking him to the doc and they kept saying its a stage and he will grow out of it. Well, it hasnt! The only thing I can say is put a variety of good foods in front of her and she will eventually eat it. Thats what I started doing, see my son only eats hot dogs (cut up) and ham. So thats what he gets for dinner, he wont eat veggies either. And for breakfast he gets cereal but gets milk on the side. For lunch he either gets a lunchable or pop tart. And healthy snacks through out the day with JUICE OR WATER only! milk fulls them up quicker and also constipates them. I give him the goldfish snacks or gram crackers.
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I had this problem too. You did the right thing. Put her breakfast on the table and if she gets hungry she will eat it. She is controlling you and not the other way around. I learned after a few days of stubborness your kid will eat whatever they get. Dont let her run the house you're the parent... I watched this exact same thing on SuperNanny... I did it and it worked! Yaay no more picky
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Don't wait for her to go to the table to eat. Put her at the table. If she eats, great. IF she doesn't, and gets down, then remove the food and she gets nothing until the next MEAL.

she will whine and cry. You tell her that she should have eaten her breakfast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed,

• You gave her the graham cracker and milk after she held out for a couple of hours. Expect the same next time. You need to hold out indefinitely. You aren't refusing to feed her. You're doing the same thing you'd do if you rant out of graham crackers - you'd offer her something else. The food is there, and she can choose to eat it or be hungry.

Yes, she will eat when she's hungry. She wants her favorites, but that doesn't mean she gets to have just her favorites. Toddlers don't know that only snacks isn't good for them. So, of course, they're going to want their favorite foods every time. Adults know that sometimes, you've just got to eat peas because another slice of cake is a bad idea. :)

Keep it up!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2009