HOW CAN I BREAK MY 11 YO FROM WANTING TO SLEEP IN MY ROOM?

SHE USED TO SLEEP ALONE IN HER ROOM. SHE HAS GENERALIZED ANXIETY DISORDER.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• oh my touch one just put her a bed an a night light in her room an tuck her in give her a kiss an say night night an let her know mommy is down the hall an nothing will hurt her if that dont work keep trying trying she needs to learn to be alone in the night so try to get her used to it
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I had this problem when I was little. My older cousin had taken me to watch a scary movie in theatres. I never wanted to sleep alone again! My Mom ended up putting me in my bed. She left the hall light on and the door cracked for me and she gave me one of those kiddie walkie-talkies, and took the other one to her room. The first few nights if I woke up scared Id talk to her on the walkie talkie. Some nights she wouldnt answer me, so Id just fall back asleep and it became okay I got used to it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Work with her therapist

Answer by rkoloms at 12:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I'm having the same problem right now. Is it a girl or boy? For my DD, we have a night time ritual (that we're still perfecting) ... we read together in her bed - something light (Dr. Seuss, "Oh the Places You'll Go" or "Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?"), we talk about the day (not about how she's having trouble sleeping). I also bought her a sound spa ... she likes the "Ocean" sounds. It all helps most nights. We've tried the "Sleepy Time" tea, but that hasn't grown on her (of course, now I'm loving it). Some nights she's still in my room every 10 minutes, but we're slowly working through it. Patience, patience, patience ...
    jj.mominmd

Answer by jj.mominmd at 12:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I was a single Mom for a long time and would put the kids down to sleep and they would end up in my bed before it was over. This went on for 4 years until I got remarried and it was a big problem for him. I started laying down with her and leaving when she feel asleep. She is 10 now and usually sleeps by herself but...She still needs me sometimes and on those nights I climb in bed with her.

terrorchasnmom

Answer by terrorchasnmom at 2:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I had this tourble with one of my chidren. I think they were afraid something would happen to me because my husband and I got divorced. I put a night light in their room and now they sleep alone.
    seashore29

Answer by seashore29 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You just have to keep reassuring her that she is ok in her room and you are there for her when she needs you. Find out why she is afraid to sleep in her own room. Maybe a nightlight or soft music or a white noise machine. Talk to her counsleor. Sleeping meds might help too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2009