How do you know when to get rid of toys?

I feel like my kids have too many toys out. Their rooms are full of toys and they have a playroom that looks like a daycare, but more cluttered. I have 4 large storage containers that are full of toys and stuffed animals that are in rotation. I hate to give away/throw away toys but it looks like I need to. How do I decide? Everything has some significance because it is from someone special or it is something they play with a lot. Like the mcdonalds toys, they play with those more than anything. Where do I start?

sararsara

Asked by sararsara at 11:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• In in the same boat as you. Saved my older girls toys hoping we would have more kids and now that we have little ones they have the bf girl toys plus the stuff we get for them. Right now we have a pile of stuffed animals that takes up a 4'x10' area about 2' deep I swear o will never give a stuffed animal as a gift
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 8:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I always say if they don't play with or talk about a toy for a few months then they won't miss it if they don't see it again.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I agree. Im anti-clutter so when my house gets to the point of 4 toy bins.. I go through it. Keep what they play with and throw the rest. If its super sentimental like great grandma made this for you before she died. Then I'll put it up. It shouldnt be in the toy bin anyway. If its from someone special but they dont use it I still toss it. Theyre not gonna play with it forever and its gonna get discarded sometime may as well be now
    Anonymous

• Get your children to help you pack up toys that are complete, in good condition, and/or working. Take the toys and donate them to the hospital's children's wing, homeless shelters, Salvation Army, a church that will use them during Christmas. It becomes a yearly thing that all of you enjoy and look forward to. It is recycling at its best.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2009