I am 38.5 weeks pregnant...i think i am getting the flu or something. What will happen if i do?

Well yesterday i was very tired, didnt think nothing of it. Well last night my throat starts to hurt. I think it is just dry so i drink some drink and that doesnt help. I go to bed and i wake up and my throat still hurts. It is not that bad, but normally when i am getting sick my throat is the first thing that starts to hurt and it eventually gets worse. well i am still very tired and i am noticing my body is starting to ache a lil. I have a 17 month old and i cant do anything with her. We are just in my room while i set here feeling like crap. I do not have a thermometer so i can not check my temp. Hubby is at work, he can probably pick one up when he leaves. Butwhat happens if i do get the flu this far along? I am not asking if i will die but what do docs do when a pregnant women gets the flu so far along?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am pregnant and just got a regular flu shot. Then STILL got sick. Make sure it's not the H1N1 virus, that could be very dangerous to pregnant women and there babies! Id go get checked to make sure / go get the swine flu shot.
    Anonymous

• if you think you have the flu, go to the doctor. my doctor is always on me on how dangerous the flu is in pregnant women. it could very rapidly progress to pneumonia. being so close to your due date, there can also be the worry of you still having it when your baby is born and you passing the virus to the little one.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I go to the doc tomorrow at 3 should i wait? I am feeling worse every hour. I am the poster i am not gonna post anon...
    mimi_emc2

Answer by mimi_emc2 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• i am due friday but i had the H1N1 with my 3 years old 2 weeks ago. the doctor prescribed me some Tamiflu and the symtoms went away after the 2nd dose. after the flu cleared they gave me a flu shot. Ive been feeling better ever since.
    msbehave29

Answer by msbehave29 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• first off, if you plan on bfing, don't take anything like pseudophed or an antihistamine. i've met a lot of women that took it right before they delivered and it dried them up. now, i don't know how true/accurate that it, but it's best to be on the safe side.
    if you are, i would get checked out (your ob/gyn will tell you that you will need to see your primary care physician, at least that's what mine did). up your intake of vit c, drink some hot tea (it will help w/ the sore throat).
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2009