Why do our clothes still smell after washing?

DH complains about his clothes & our towels! We have a 26+ year old Washer! Which works when it wants to!! Leaks on the basement floor.. Etc.. I use Decent detergent & fabric softener. Each year I hope to replace it! But we're jobless. We have many more important needful things that aren't being replaced or repaired either! Any hope or ideas? Can't get help! Nothing on freecycle or used!! I've had Bad luck in Every washing machine I ever bought! From when I was 17 to this one! I even have Washing machine nightmares! Any ideas/solutions or tips? Thank you in advance!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 11:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Have you tried Oxyclean?
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• The only thing I can say is get a new(er) one. Look every day for a new one of FreeCycle or Craigslist, I always see appliances in my area on Craigslist for cheap. Or go to Sears and get one on credit. Or a rent-to-own place in your area.

Oh, and for the record, if you are jobless then you probably shouldn't have internet. You should probably be saving those extra pennies each month to save for your new washer.
    Anonymous

• put some baking soda and white vinegar intot he wash cycle.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I found this to happen when the spin cycle was not spinning all of the water out as it should. It makes the clothes have a wet old smell. To solve this I added the fabric softner to the rinse cycle and after the entire washing cycle was complete I would redo the spin cycle to get out excess water. Also when this happens with an older washer that doesnt work properly you may have to make the loads smaller. Hope this helps.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 12:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Use extra detergent, extra fabric softener, wash in hot water and make sure to get the clothes in the dryer right away - good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• When you put each load in to wash, put in 1 cup plain white vinegar along with the laundry detergent. No need for fabric softener. When the load gets done, run it through the SPIN cycle again. Then toss it all in the dryer. The vinegar neutralizes all the odors, and also makes towels more absorbent and eliminates the need for fabric softener or dryer sheets. If that doesn't work, just keep up the search for a used washer.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• there's probably mold in the machine. you need to try to clean it out. they sell this stuff called "washer magic" at wal mart in the detergent aisle. I used it when i bought a used washer. took the smell right out. good luck.
    Anonymous

• oh also take out the clothes as soon as they are done & make sure they are getting thoroughly dried in the dryer.
    Anonymous

• Make sure the towels are completely DRY before you wash them, don't know the logic behind it but my Mom told me and it works!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• anon 11:02 you're just being a BI**h she asked for advice not bashing. For the record there are alot of moms on here that are on PA and shouldn't have interenet either.
    Try the respin and the vinegar
    Anonymous