Santa Doubts...

Crap. We were watching the news this morning while waiting for the bus and they had a peice on the Salvation Army toy drive. My 6 year old son looks at me and says "Mom, why do they do that? I thought Santa gave toys to everyone that was good?"

Thankfully the bus pulled up, but I know he's gonna bring it back up when he gets home. What do I tell him? I don't want to ruin Santa for him, and I also have 2 that are younger than he is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Holidays

• Could you maybe explain to him that sometimes the parents can't afford to buy gifts and even though Santa may leave those kids a few presents, maybe their parents feel bad they can't buy them anything and that's when the Salvation army and other toy drives help out? I mean surely your kids get gifts from you and from Santa. Maybe you could ask him how he would feel if he didn't get presents from you, and tell him that other parents don't want their kids to feel that way. It doesn't necessarily have to do with Santa. Mine never asked anything like that lol, they just asked one time why the Wii that Santa brought had a Target receipt inside the box lol. I said Santa doesn't make electronics, he buys them!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You can tell him that these people are helping Santa and his elves. I just tell mine that Santa and his elves are so busy, and have so many kids to give toys to, that people like the Salvation Army, and Toys for Tots, etc., help out by getting some toys.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• In my opinion it's better to be honest with him. He figured it out on his own. If you lied to him now, there's a good chance he might think your lying about something important later. If you have younger kids that you don't want him to let it slip to, tell him that Santa (wink wink) only bring presents to kids who believe in him and if he want presents he won't spill the beans.
    Anonymous

• You can tell him that Santa does bring toys to good boys and girls. But that in addition to presents from Santa, families give gifts too. Sometimes mommies and daddies can't afford to buy toys for their children. The Salvation Army collects toys so that kids can get presents from their parents. Good luck!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2009