At what age should I start a bedtime routine?

My baby is about 2 weeks old so I doubt a bedtime routine would exactly help at the moment. But would it be a good idea to start one now? When would the best time be to start one? Also, what time of night is the best time to go through the routine? Thanks!

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 12:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started one right away. You are right that 2 weeks is young for them to actually know, but as they become more aware of what is going on around them, they will notice that this is how bed time always is, instead of all of a sudden it changes to a routine when there once was none.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Mom, slow down! Your baby will go through many changes in the first year. In general, I did have a "kind of" routine in which I would read to my son before bed and continued it until he could read, then I would share reading with him. He's now 14 and reads alone, by choice, but his love of reading was set-up by me. 

Anonymous

• my baby has a bedtime routine and he's 2 months old, after dinner dd gets a bath then the baby then i feed him another bottle get dd's teeth brushed and then wash the baby's mouth with a washcloth then take them both to bed, they go to sleep at the same time, around 8pm, he sleeps until around 1 am
    Anonymous

• Don't forget a nightly bath, lotion, teeth cleaning and the baby, when ready, to be in their own room and bed.
    Anonymous

• I started mine at 3 months, I just did the same thing every night and at 8 they were put to bed. Before long, at 8 they were ready for bed. I did this with all 3 of mine
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My son has always had a routine at bed time. He would get feed at 8pm get a bath a story then off to bed. He would be in his bed by 9. And now he is 5 months old and we still do this every night. My6 son likes it. It made life a lot eaiser for me and my husband at night. We have our time togeather before we go to bed and my son has been sleeping through the night since he was 2 months old. But even when he would wake up it was always at 4 in the morning so i would feed him change him and back to bed he went till 8 am when it was time to wake up eat and play again. Now he will sleep all night and not wake up till about 15 till 8 so i get his bottle ready and then feed him. I think him being on a routine helped get him to sleep through the night sooner. but that is just a guess. This is also my first son. Dont know if that makes a difference.
    Anonymous

• Honestly I say as soon as possible. Of course you can't expect your baby to abide by it every night or catch on any time soon but the sooner they learn the habit the sooner they will get used to it when they are ready. Plus I like to think it makes them feel safer and more comfortable when they have a routine. Don't expect the sleeping or eating patterns to become habit anytime soon but start with things like play time, bath time, book time, quiet time, etc. at the same time everyday.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2009