Who did you let visit you in the hospital after your baby was born?

I've been thinking about this, and I don't really want people there. I want My DH, Mom, and sister. Thats all! My DH's family... god! His siblings are completely out of control and loud and wild. and His mother Smokes her brains out. I refuse to let a smoker hold my Baby, or even be around him. the smell of cigarettes completely makes me sick right now I can imagine my poor baby being held and suffocated by the smell of it off her clothes... ugh! Absolutely NOTTTTTTT! How would you go about this and who did you let come visit you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We have no family around here so it was just my husband. My MIL flew in shortly before we were discharged and stayed to help for 2 weeks. But I love my MIL, so that was good.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Also, at our hospital if you didn't want visitors they would put a sign on your door saying no visitors at this time. You might see if you hospital does something similar.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I had my family and friends visit, None smoke, and had no problem with others hold baby. (only know of course) I can understand your concern for baby though.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 12:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I let all my family and friends come visit me... I am very close with all of my family so I was glad that they were by my side :)
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• For me it was my husband mom mother and father inlaw. Then a suprise visit from some of his comand. He is in the army and they wanted to see how i was doing because i had to have an emergency c-section. One of the guys was there when i got out of recovery. But it wasnt bad having them all there for a little bit. It was good to have different people to talk to. Then they all went away =)
    But thats just me.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I didn't LET anyone come and visit me. People who wanted to be there were there and people who didn't want to be there were not. I didn't tell anyone to come or not to come. My parents were there, my MIL and my step - FIL, my FIL showed up, my two BIL's and one of their wives. The next day my husband's grandmother came with his mother.

For your mother in law, I might ask her to wear a clean shirt to the hospital, one she has not worn while smoking yet, and to wash her hands before she hold the baby (as anyone else should too). If she doesn't like it then that's just too bad. It's not right to keep a grandmother from her new grandchild, but you don't have to let her expose your new born to her stink either.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• With our 3rd and last, I went into labor so fast that my MIL didn't even make it in to see us. It was nice and quiet, until I got home to my then 13 month old and 7 yr old,lol... A new baby brings such joy, why would you want to keep anyone from that no matter what they smell like?? It's only for a few minutes, the baby won't suffer for it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I was the same, I didn't want people to come. My mother-in-law, father-in-law and brother-in-law came right after she was born when I was still in recovery. My other brother in law and his gf came later. I was so bloated and tired that I really didn't want to see them but on the other hand, I was so out of it I didn't care! My family lives in a different state so luckily they weren't all there!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• For us, we let family come and close friends.

This time it will just be friends unless my mom is here before.

I made sure to tell everyone to wash their hands before holding our boys when they were born, and if they were smokers, i'd make a request that they not smoke on the way over, or if they did, then to wait until their clothes didn't wreak of smoke.

If you don't want someone or people to come, the nurses can make it known that you can't (if you don't want them to know) or you don't want visitors.
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 12:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Funny story: I had my daughter at the hospital where I worked and I had the longest string of visitors you've ever seen! All my coworkers came by on their coffee breaks and lunches, or before or after work. I was all ready for it! I had new pajamas on, and my camera ready and in her baby book there are pages and pages of pics of me, d and random coworkers. It is hilarious. I look awful but I felt great and if I hadn't have wanted them there, the hospital could have put up a sign to deter visitors. Great memories! On the other hand, when I had my son I was already a sahm and only had a handful of visitors and it was peaceful and nice too.
    ~Now for my advice: this is not an area where you want to compromise! If you don't want people there, stick to it and make your wishes known. Tell everyone that when you are feeling up for it you will invite them all over individually etc. It's all about YOU and the BABY right now!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2009