How much should i be giving my 5 month old son?

I just started giving him the infant cereal. I do not put it in a bottle and he makes a mess of it. But i dont know how often i should be giving it to him since we just started it this past weekend. So far i have been giving it to him once a day for the past few days but im not sure if i should be giving him more then that. I also give him his bottle to make sure he got enough to eat. Im just worried about not giving it to him enough. I am a first time mom so i need some help.

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 12:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my son with one teaspoon once a day, it was with his nighttime bottle. I'd start with once a day then if he tolerates that well, go up to two times a day.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• He really doesn't need it. Do what your doing... it's fine. I would feed him his bottle first then offer the cereal to make sure he is getting the nutrition he needs.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• OP here...
    The ped. told me to start him on it. But he didnt tell me anything other than that. So i worry that im not giving him enough or something. I always start with making him a bottle but only give him halof of it to start then i feed him the cereal and let him drink whats left of the bottle if he wants it. I folowed the directions on the box for giving it to him for the first time but that just told me how to mix it. But he takes the cereal and an 8oz bottle.

And would he have had an alergic reaction to it by now if he was alergic to it?Its been 3 days so he has had it 3 times so far. Im just wondering if i need to worry about this still or if hes fine with it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• my ped said one tablespoon of cereal mixed with formula (or breastmilk) twice a day to start off with
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I'd say once a day is fine. He doesn't really need it at this point, its just for the experience. You don't even have to give it to him if you don't feel he is ready for it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2009