Did you hand out religious materials to trick or treaters?

I was just wondering what the reasoning was for people to hand out religious materials to MINORS trick or treating? Did the church encourage you to do it? How would you have felt if your 6 yr. old brought home information regarding Atheits, Buddhists, Pagan's, etc. being the right way?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i would throw it away regardless if it was from christians, atheists or whatever b/c i want to be the one to teach my children about religion, they're too young to read anyways
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Good question =) We didn't get anything of the sort, but OH! I can only imagine the fun my husband and I would've had if someone had tried to give a tract to our 10 month old.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• my guess is your child recieved xtian info, and now you assume all xtians do this? just throw it away and eat the candy.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• We have had that happen. I just throw it away before the kids get to the candy. What really pisses me off though is when I was delivering pizza people would wrap that crap around their money and shove it in my hand.
    If I wanted to be saved by your religion I would be attending your church.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• People used to give me tracts when I was 18 and worked the drive thru at Arby's. What do you say to that when you're rushing around trying to do your job? I was blindsided and stood there like an idiot saying "Uh...thank...you?"
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• We got some but we went to their "trunk or treat" :) And I read it. Once a woman came up to me at A&W and gave me "secrets to a happy family." I told her I would read it so I kind of did but honestly don't have time to read everything. But it is still sitting in my car...maybe I'll read it in it's entirity one day lol
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah I hand out spells & Pagan pamphlets because I think small children should be recruited early, how else will they know how much the Goddess loves them!? (Please hear the dripping sarcasm there, I would never give unsolicited religious materials to anyone, let alone a child). Fortunately my daughter never got anything like that, if she had she would have laughed at how ridiculous it was. Nathskitten, if that was the "tip" I would go back & egg their house later (I know I am a vindictive person).

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Nope, never had that happen. If it ever did, though, there would be not-so-nice words exchanged right then. My husband & I take our kids TOTing & he walks them all they way to the door every time, so we would've known where it was coming from. It wouldn't have been pretty.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• OH - we DID have a tract handed to us when he bought our Jack-O-Lantern pumpkins... but asked for it LOL That's what you get for going to a church pumkin patch :-) I just handed it back and said "No thanks".
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• thehairnazi-

Yeah my child recieved religious propoganda from a Christian church, and me (being Christian) I just assumed that ALL Christians did. Oh please.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2009