When do they get too big for spankings?

I don't want to debate spanking, For those of you who do (or did) spank, what age do you think they start to get too big for it being effective? Mine son just turned 4 and it still seems to work fine with him. I'm still doing bare bottomed ones with him and I know he'll soon be too big for those, but is that 5? 6? 7?. They're working really well and I hardly have to spank him. Pro-spanking moms when kids get too big to spank? Thanks for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• For mine spankings on their bottoms started about 2-1/2 and dwindled down until by first grade they were pretty much not needed. Just opened handed swats that hurt their pride more than their bottoms. The pants down ones were mainly for when they were in diapers and training pants, and then once they were potty trained reserved for serious offenses where I really needed to make my point. As they get older (around 5), I agree with the previous post that you can reason with them a lot better, but occassionally mine pushed it to the point of spanking. I didn't pull down pants past their 5th brithdays, but would occassionally use the threat, which always resulted in instant good behavior!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• my nephew is 10 and my mom still spanks him, not bare bottom though
    Anonymous

• My son is 11. I stopped. My 7 year old still gets a smack every once in a while. My 6 year old i can't rem the last time i smacked him. It depends on the kid. you will know.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• my mom whacked me with the belt at 16, and smacked me gave me a fat lip but uh thats more abuse than discipline...FML
    Anonymous

• My mom said your never to old or big for them. I'm 23 and she still threatens me with them. her Motto is ~ I brought you into this world and I'll take you out~ lol She never hurt us but that sure scared the hell out of us.
    Dani86

Answer by Dani86 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• The day they are born.
    Anonymous

• When your kid grows up with weird fetishes, and mental problems - don't be surprised, ok?
    Anonymous

• Oh and as for all the people who are about to answer my last post with "well my mom spanked me and I turned out great" -
    don't bother. You didn't.
    "Great" mothers do not hit their children. So no, you are just passing on this sick tradition.
    Anonymous

• O.K. obviously anons can't read, she asked for only those who do spank to comment, not you. Maybe non-spanking is just ignorant and thats why you can't read.

I only use spanking as a last resort and 10 was the cut off. I've actually only had to spank each of them once and for my oldest it was a swat on the hand when she wouldn't leave the dog food alone.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My oldest is 11. I had stopped for awhile, but she seemed to think that she could do whatever & NOT get a spanking for it. So it's back on the table.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2009