What are your menus that stretch your food dollar? What supermarkets are best for your family, how do you stretch your dollar for feed your families?

Our best shopping is meats at Costco and everything else at Foodtown (point can be earned for money off on different items plus saved for future use in addition to points can saved to buy for ourselves or for someone else either 10 or 25 dollar gift cards),

Sometimes we shop at StopNShop or ShopRite but we do best at Costco and Foodtown. I like big pots of spaghetti and meatballs to save for days in the freezer. Plus I've turned left over meatloaf into a ground beef in spaghetti. Pot Roasts are great and stretch fair- put them in a slow cooker with other things or cook in oven and slice a quarter to three quarter thick and freeze some of it for future meals.

What about you - what menus do you have to cook and slice and dice to eat and freeze for another time?

lfl

Asked by lfl at 12:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• a coworker told me about tator tot casserole from that 18 kids and counting show. guess she went to the website and got the recipie. havent made it yet but she said its good
    Anonymous

• Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

I will post some of my recent menus below; send me a message offlist if you would like any recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 1:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Week of 11/1
    Sunday – chili
    Monday – peanut noodles
    Tuesday – stirfry
    Wednesday – lasagna
    Thursday – curry
    Friday – breakfast: oatmeal pancakes and fruit salad
    Saturday – out
    Week of 10/25
    Sunday – bean and vegetable sloppy joes
    Monday – Mexican lasagna
    Tuesday – southwest falafel
    Wednesday – stirfry
    Thursday – zucchini enchiladas
    Friday – stroganoff
    Saturday – Halloween black and orange quesadillas
    Week of 10/18
    Sunday – black bean soup, quesadillas, avocado salad
    Monday – lentil tacos
    Tuesday – mushroom stroganoff
    Wednesday – stirfry
    Thursday – peanut noodles
    Friday – Mediterranean stew
    Saturday – pot pie

Answer by rkoloms at 1:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I try to plan at least 1 vegetarian meal each week. I will also make and use refried beans instead of meat in tacos or nachos. We feed 6 - 8 people at each meal so I rarely have leftovers, but when making casseroles like lasagna or tator tot casserole or stews/ soups, I will make double and freeze one.

I don't live in an area with a huge choice of stores. We have a Super Walmart, Meijer, and some Spartan brand stores, but the BEST prices are at Save A Lot and Dollar General.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2009