First trip with out DS... Need some advice...

My DH and I are going on a weekend cruise. This will be our first time leaving our DS EVER! He is 19months and is going through an attachment phase, which I know is completely normal for this age. He will be staying with my mom while we are gone. He isn't used to her b/c she lives so far away. She is our only option. Is there anything I can do to make this easier on him? We will only be gone from friday afternoon until monday morning. So he is really only going to have 2 whole days with out us.
Any advice would be greatly appreceated!

Andes_Mom

Asked by Andes_Mom at 1:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make a video tape of yourselves w/encouraging messages to him that he can watch while you are gone. Or if you have time, reading a book that you leave behind that he can look along at while you're on the screen. This sounds corny but it's what I used to do (of my h for my kids when he was traveling) and it works! Also, I know it sounds wrong, but calling ALL the time only makes it worse! You can leave him little surprise msgs or gifts for your mom to give him every so often and make sure he has some pics of you guys handy so he can carry them around if he wants to. Have a great time and don't worry too much! He will be fine and your marriage will be better for it! : )
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Just try to have your mom keep his schedule as close to normal as possible. Also...make sure he has plenty of comfort items...all his "regulars" should go with him...any stuffed toys or blankets that he sleeps with, etc. Other than that, not much you can do. Having a few new toys and a few old ones accompany him will help keep him entertained while he's there. You might be surprised how well he does once you're gone. =) Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My best piece of advice is this. If you are leaving during a clingy phase, you absolutely 100% have to be ready to come back to a WORSE clingy phase. I'm not saying not to go! I'm saying clear your calendar the next couple of weeks when you get back.

Make sure she knows his routines and what he enjoys (parks, etc). If you can, spend a day there with her and him. Don't just drop him off in a strange place and run.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Don't worry about it and enjoy your break! you'll think of him more than he does of you. Send pictures for him to see, but beyond that, he'll have fun with grandma and probably won't be much trouble. Once you get back though, he might be more clingy. Mine was after my first week long trip away. She'd been doing days at a time w/o problem. But she was really clingy after the week trip for about 2 weeks then was back to normal.
    Anonymous